how do you know?

How do you know if you have postpartum depression?My baby is 3 months now!I have no feelings to hurt her, she's my lil panda bear!But, I cry over littlest things.Her father and I fight all the time! I watch Alexis 24/7 and her father is saying that I am depressed.All I have the energy for is Alexis, I don't have energy to do nothing else. I beg him just to take her a little while just so i can sleep, but most of the time something pops up and its full-time mommy to the rescue.Which I don't mind I enjoy taking care of her, she's my pride.But, still is it postpartum depression, when I cry over everything, can't enjoy doing anything other than playing and caring for my baby! I can't relax in a bath or enjoy a movie even if Alexis is asleep.I can't enjoy anything I use to. Is this postpartum?Could it still be postpartum even though I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting my baby? How long does this last?Alexis is 3months!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here is the test that psychologists, MDs, ect use to diagnose someone with ppd.

http://www.postpartumstress.com/docs/epds.pdf

It sounds like you may be tired, stressed out, and fighting with your husband but it may not be ppd. What you describe is very common. It will pass. You had your baby in the winter and that makes things worse. It's hard to get out. There isn't as much sun.

It may help joining a moms group and talking to other moms. Making some friends and getting out and doing some things. It may be hard at first.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Sounds like you need a good nights sleep and some alone time with hubby....Thats what I think Personally (and i'm not a dr. by far,lol). But I would give doc a call and see if maybe you can get prescribed a low dose antidepressant or something. And sometimes...it just helps if you talk it out with someone who is really listening and offers a shoulders to have a good cry on. Good Luck and hope it passes soon! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• PPD doesn't always come with thoughts of hurting yourself or your child. Those are the more extreme cases. Based on what you've said, I would say that you might have a touch of PPD, and should see a doctor/speak to a therapist. Medication may or may not be needed. Many times, just TALKING helps a great deal, as does getting out of the house, even WITH the baby. Go for a walk, anything. And if you need meds, then hey, you need meds. This makes you a good mom for recognizing that something is wrong, and it might affect your ability to parent. This is NOT saying that moms with PPD and don't realize it are bad moms.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• It may be a bit of PPD...and frustration with dad. Certainly talk to your doc. Better to ring the PPD alarm and have that be wrong than NOT to do so.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You sound like me. Except my daughter is about to be 10 months old. I still cry over everything. If she is sad, I am sad. My husband does the same crap. 10 minutes of freedom is too much to ask for. Even if I do get a break, I worry about her. I am not a doctor, but I know when I had ppdp, I was a lot more angry at everyone and everything. I wouldn't even let anyone hold her. I think that you have a lot of strees (like me) and a whole lot of love and care for your baby. I would still ask the opinion of a doctor though just to be safe. Good luck.
    dawnsmommy

Answer by dawnsmommy at 10:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• It doesn't sound like depression. Just stress. Being a new mommy is stressful period but being a FULL time mommy and feeling like you have little support from your partner makes the situation much worse. Do you have any family or friends that can help you out? Just remember...it isn't this hard forever! It gets much easier, promise!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2010