Anemic

I found out last week that I am anemic and been taking iron pills and eating red meats and high in iron foods. If not better in a month I have to have a blood transfusion. What are your symptoms?

Baileysmom22304

Asked by Baileysmom22304 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Health

• Iron is absorbed better if you eat food high in iron with food high in vitamin C.

Symptoms of anemia may include the following:

•Fatigue
    •weakness
    •shortness of breath
    •lightheadedness
    •palpitations (feeling of the heart racing or beating irregularly)
    •looking pale

Symptoms of severe anemia may include:

•chest pain, angina, or heart attack
    •dizziness
    •fainting or passing out
    •rapid heart rate

Some of the signs that may indicate anemia in an individual may include:

•Change in stool color
    •rapid heart rate
    •low blood pressure
    •rapid breathing
    •pale or cold skin
    •yellow skin called jaundice if anemia is due to red blood cell breakdown
    •heart murmur
    •enlargement of the spleen with certain
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I am anemic, no matter how many iron supplement or how much red meat I eat. My hemoglobin "normally" is around 9 - it drops during pregnancy. Last time I was in the hospital, it dropped to 5.7. I've had a couple of transfusions. My dr finally sent my blood to the mayo clinic to have it tested. It turns out that my red blood cells are abnormally shaped so they don't absorb as much iron, thus the anemia.
    My only symptom is just extreme fatigue. I cannot get through a day without a nap, and I don't mean I just feel a little slow - I mean I will fall asleep sitting up with people talking to me if I don't get one. I sleep at least 9-10 hours at night, and then take an at least 1 hour nap, usually 2 hours during the day.

Answer by missanc at 2:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I had to start taking iron during my pregnancy towards the end of it and since I lost so much blood from pp bleeding I now have to do whatever I can to get it raised up.
    Baileysmom22304

Answer by Baileysmom22304 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2010