Why do religious people seem to either be completely incapable of arguing with logic or at least make a lot of fallacies?

I can't think of a single time I've argued with a religious person whose logic did not have some glaring flaw they refused to acknowledge. Can you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• you cannot fight faith with logic and fact.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• They are trying to prove something that by it's very nature is impossible to prove. That their faith in an invisible all knowing father figure is right. Any argument that claims to be proof is bound to have at least one or more logical fallacies in it. Logically, even in the off chance they were right there could be no argument proving it.
    Anonymous

• Self deceived.

Christians make poor debate because they have no training in how to make arguments.

They offer logical fallacies because this is most of what they hear in church.
    Anonymous

• The overly religious ones need to take their noses out of the book for a bit to see the world around them. This is not most, but just some. The rest are fine and can use logic just as easily as the next person. It's just that loud bunch that seems to ruin it for the rest of them.
    Anonymous

• why do some people lump all people together & ask biased questions about them, when obviously they have not met every religious person in the world.
    Anonymous

• I think you are tying to start an argument...but I am game. First off my reasoning is not your reasoning, I am certain we have two diffrent points of view therefore it will not sound reasonable or logical to you because you do not agree or have that type of mind set.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I have had discussions with many religious people who made good arguments for their faith. It was never fully supported by science, there is always a gap there that cannot be bridged by anything but faith, but I am logical enough to see that their logic makes sense to them.

Thing is, no, religion will never fully agree with science. Ever. Because it must just be taken on faith. And that's it. Faith. So their logic supporting their arguments will never hold any water. They just won't, not scientifically, or pragmatically. But there are a good number out there who actually KNOW why their church believes as it does, and has some mundane factoid that makes it somewhat congruent with their religion. Seems like you're just meeting the ones who were raised to blind faith, never questioning :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Have you seen the movie Contact. A subplot is the conflict between two people that have equal genius and status and are arrracted to each other, they have been lovers. The woman is all science, all logic. The man is a spiritual leader. It's one of my fovorite movies. It would interested you if you are really interested and not just asking because you are bored. It stars Jodie Foster.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Futhermore, what is there to argue about? You are odvisouly convienced in what you believe, let me be as well. I need not argue points about the reality and power of my God because I am convienced in who he is. Be convienced in whatever you believe and let us live and let live.....I could argue the point but why? I am not going to convience you am? This type of question is just a way of angy non believers to vent and say ugly things about christians. If he is not real fine, if he did not die for me fine, if he is not the son of God fine, if he rose not on the 3rd day fine, How do I hurt you by believing ? Why is it your mission to change what I believe?
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• That's because faith is based off of just that...faith and belief. It defies logic.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2010