Baby Food....

I mix a little baby food into my 3 1/2 month old son's formula. He loves it, and it's not too thick, since I use the first foods. I also fed him some first foods sweet potatoes without formula today. He really liked it. Does anyone else do this? No bashing please!

LeiamsMommy

Asked by LeiamsMommy at 2:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my friend did this and her son loved it! never tried it for my dd though...
    Anonymous

• I think it's fine as long as you're feeding it to him with a spoon and not though the bottle.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 2:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Gailll

question for you! why would they make and sell baby food bottles if you're not suppose to do this...??JW
    Anonymous

• Anon :48 Why? Because there's money to be made. Cigarettes aren't safe, but they sell those too. There are plenty of things that are unsafe that are sold.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You ask "does anyone else do this?" No, I don't. After reading so much info on the benefits of waiting to introduce any solids until at least 6 months, and could find nothing but negative consequences for starting earlier, I asked myself, why start early? Why not just wait until 6 months? IF there was a benefit to starting earlier, then I might consider it, but there is not, so why risk it?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• okay. for everyone who is bashing, i don't need it. just stay out of this question if you want to be mean. i asked for honest opinions of other mothers who done this, not angry replies. :(
    LeiamsMommy

Answer by LeiamsMommy at 2:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• i am a firm believer in following a baby's cues. if ur baby is already taking food from a spoon and enjoying it, then i think it is fine. neither of my children liked cereal. so i tried and skipped it. i started my 1st on baby fruit and veggies a little after six mths. it was just obvious that she was ready for it. my 2nd, will be 6th months next mon. i tried to give him a taste of some baby food fruit from a spoon 2day. he seemed almost ready... but not quite there. i personally wouldnt recommend putting food in a bottle..but no i dont think it will kill your child! in my own experience you can tell when a baby is ready to eat bc they WATCH you eat and move their mouth and tongue. they willingly open their mouth for the spoon, and they do not automatically spit all the food out that you give them. instead they taste it and learn how to swallow it down. follow your baby's cue. 4 my kids it was after 6 mths.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• "Honest opinions of other mothers who done this."

What does that mean? What kind of opinion are you looking for? I think it's ok to go against all the recommendations. It doesn't matter if baby chokes and gets food in it's lungs. Who cares about food sensitivities? Who cares about the baby's digestive track not being ready to digest food? Who cares about leaky gut?

Who cares about the consequences, I'm going to do whatever I want. It's my baby. I know what's best. This is what works best for me and my family. If the baby likes it the it has to be the right thing to do. You want to hear that and are disappointed because you haven't heard it yet?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You asked have you done this and I told you my answer and why I chose to do what I did. I do not consider that "bashing", so I'm sorry if that is how you saw it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Take it slow, and make sure you start with light, hypoallergenic foods first. Try one food for 3 days then try another just to make sure your baby isn't allergic. Good luck, each child is different and will let you know when he is ready. My 2 year old I gave Spaghetti at 9 months, My 6 year old was still on mush until 12. No Honey until 2, and no Whole milk until 1, No peanut or eggs until later because they are very allergenic. I started my boys between 3.5 and 4 months on Rice cereal, it is very easy on the tummy and not likely to cause allergies. Neither one of my boys have any allergies. I even gave my boys a little rice cereal in their breastmilk and formula because their tongue kept pushing the spooned food out.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 3:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2010