Baby shower for a 15 yr old?

One of my friends that I have known since HS has a 15 yr old daughter that is pregnant. Due in May. They just "discovered" she was pregnant about 2 weeks ago. The father is a 16 yr old HS drop out. My friend had let him stay there all the time (all night in daughter's room), so I dont know why mom is surprised the girl is pregnant! I got an invite to a baby shower the other day! Would you really have a baby shower for your preg. 15 yr old? I mean, yeah they need stuff for the baby BUT I have already given her a crib, maternity clothes, baby clothes, bottles, toys, pack n play...& I am not the only one who has given them things! What are some thoughts on having a baby shower for a 15 year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I dont think anyone "deserves" anything..its not a "right" to have a shower because your pregnant. If she already has the basic needs for the child given to her, then why does she need a party?

i agree with u anon.i wouldnt go regardless if i gave her any gifts or not. i would feel weird going to a baby shower for a teen (as in 17 or younger). if it was my dd she would not be having a baby shower. im sorry there is nothing to celebrate about a kid having a kid.
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 3:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I was pregnant when I was 15.

IMO, they should not be treated any differently than a "grown woman", in regards to baby needs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I personally don't like to see 15 year olds having a baby shower with all their friends from school. Family and close friends yes.
    Anonymous

• regardless of her age she is still pregnant and deserves a baby shower... Well obviously she is too young to have a baby but theres not much that can be done about that now.
    Anonymous

Anonymous

• her age has nothing to do with whether or not she can have a baby shower. She is still going to be a mom and has mommy/baby needs too. I think she deserves a shower regardless of her age
    Anonymous

• Well im sure some of the "older" moms have had all of the basics given to them as well and they still had baby showers, so why cant she??
    Anonymous

• Any child is a blessing and there arrival deserves to be celebrated. Its not the babys fault that theyre coming
    Anonymous

• I would invite family but not friends from school. I don't really see it as appropriate to invite kid's who shouldn't be getting pregnant to Baby shower for one their peers.
    Anonymous

• My first instinct is no way, but then I think about what a hard life this girl has in front of her. I think a shower would be awkward, but I also think the girl is facing incredible consequences for her actions and it's maybe not right to automatically say no shower for you. I don't think I'd be ready for my 15 year old to have a baby shower soon after discovering she was pregnant, but I hope at some point I would come to terms with it and be supportive to her and my grandchild. I truly hope I never have to face this situation an find out. It seems like there is no right answer.
    Anonymous