Is it hypocritical for Christians to want "both sides" taught in biology classes and "abstinence only" taught in sex ed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If abstinence worked, there would not be unplanned pregnancy. What needs to happen is a much earlier, more invasive preaching of safer sex.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• How about we teach Biology in Biology (which includes evolution as it is biology's cornerstone) and not religious beliefs that have nothing to do with biology. and in sex ed instead of dooming our children with useless scare tactics and teaching them that sex is evil, lets teach them to be smart with their bodies. In my middle school they tried to show is how feeble condoms were by showing us a cut off glove finger and calling it a condom they also told us that if you got even one sperm through she would be automatically pregnant. We need to start moving to a better society where the human body and its natural actions aren't some evil taboo.
    Anonymous

• hy·poc·ri·sy   /hɪˈpÉ’krÉ™si/ Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see] Show IPA –noun,plural-sies. 1.a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess. 2.a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

No. It isn't hypocritical...Abstinence until marriage, or at least until an adult, is NOT a bad idea and should really be encouraged! I don't think it is a bad idea to teach that it really is the best choice. The whole idea of teaching "both sides" in biology(I assume you mean creationism and evolution)is that both are theories! I believe that the word "hypocrite" is thrown around waaaaay too much. Everyone-absolutely everyone is guilty of hypocrisy at some point or another.

Anonymous

• it's not only the christians who preach the abstinance only
    Anonymous

• My parents taught me all about sex from a very young age, but still made if very clear that expected my first time to be when I was married.

I think it was a great approach. I had a sibling who didn't wait until marriage, but still knew how to handle the situation responsibly....I did wait, but was glad to go into the wedding night fully aware of how things work.

I don't see anything hypocritical in that at all.
    Anonymous

• THANK you, :19!!!
    Anonymous

• Is abstinence not taught? That is where I first heard that word....in sex ed years ago. I think its all being taught. Except, of course, creation.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I don't think it's really hypocritical... Naive, but not hypocritical...

It was because of my mothers belief in "Abstinence Only" that my sister and I never had safe sex... We figured without condoms, there was no proof and we couldn't get busted having sex. Luckily neither of us got pregnant. But the point is, the only thing teaching abstinence only did, was give us a reason not to do things safely... I would much rather my kids were safe and honest than abstinent.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• adding...
    I do think its hypocritical to not teach creation. They say the Pledge of Allegience everyday, dont they? Which includes the word "God." ??????
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Actually, I was taught creation in school - but not Abstinence... lol... Our Sex Ed class covered the option of not having sex for less than a day... It was simply, the best way to not deal with kids and disease if not to have sex... Period, that was all we were taught abstinence in an entire years worth of Sex Ed. But creation was a big part of my Biology class because my teacher didn't believe in evolution. So he would cover the creation theory every time he had to teach evolution...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2010