Toddler using their untensils?

What's a easy way to train your toddler (18 months) to use a fork and spoon? I really want to get this rolling, but gaaaahhhh..... so far it's nothing more than a weapon to launch at the dog. :/

Any tips/advice welcomed and TIA!!

KellnMaddS

Asked by KellnMaddS at 3:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He'll do it when he's ready. He is the age to start doing a pretty good job if he wants to. Some kids do things before others. Make sure he has a kid size spoon and fork.

He may want to start with a spoon with foods that he can't eat with his hands like applesauce, yogurt, ice cream, ect. Foods that you can stab are good first ones for a fork.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• i always gave my dd a spoon or fork and let her try as i fed her with a different spoon or fork. she is 19mnths now...and can pretty much feed herself. when she has trouble, she just puts her fork down and uses her hands... which is fine with me. try giving fun foods that are easy to get with a spoon... like yogurt and applesauce. also gerber graduates has a lot of fun utensils... that are colorful and easy to hold. if you have these and he/she is still launching them... then maybe they are just not ready for a utensil. if that is the case, maybe when you are eating... you can let him/her try to take a bite of your food (if he wants it) with your spoon or fork. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• if it's still more a toy, give yourself and the dog a 3-5 week break and try again.

then make sure and use it on the favorite food of the week and at a very hungry time.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• my boy is 19 months and has just started actually using the untensils. he'll do it when he's ready.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My DD has been using a fork and spoon since she was less than a year old. We just gave them to her, and let her go at it. They were the plastic "safety" ones at first, now (21 months) she uses the regular ones, no problem. Just let him do it!!!! You have one spoon, give him another, feed him a bite, let him practice, feed him, let him, feed him, let him. You'll waste food, but my god, I would HATE if I was still feeding my DD at 18 months!
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone. :) I know she will do it when she's ready....I guess I'm just ready for a little less mess. lol. She feeds herself now so we do everything finger food (except for oatmeal, yogurt, etc...). Usually food is on the fork when she launches it, so the dog probably doesn't mind very much. lol

Anyway, Thanks ladies. =)
    KellnMaddS

Answer by KellnMaddS at 3:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• i always gave my twins a spoon, and later a fork with every meal...except oatmeal and refried beans...i spoon fed them these things! anyhow, my dd always uses a utensil, she even asks for a fork with her sandwiches sometimes! but my ds! he rarely uses a fork or spoon! we still have big messes too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• my son is 15 months and will only eat with a fork. today he tried to eat his goldfish with his fork. we actually had to switch him to an adult for a few months ago because he wanted to be like us. i think forks are easier to show how. i would say "stab" and stab the food then give him the fork, and we did that for a while. now he stabs his food good. the kid even eats his cheerios with a fork haha, i dont know how he does it, but it works for him.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2010