Do you think that the people who dont beleive in religion and God still go to church to get married, are weird people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• no i don't think they are weird but i don't know why they'd get married in a church if they don't believe in God..
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• No it's the normal thing to do in america at least, a marriage was a religious thing before it was a legal thing.
    Anonymous

• I don't necessarily think it's weird... after all, clergy are one of the few professions that are legally allowed to perform marriages.

I do think it's a bit weird when people marry in a religious service when they have no plan to follow that religion... recently friends of dh's got married in the Catholic Church and part of the sermon was about not using birth control and in their vows it actually contained a promise to raise children in the church. It so happens that the couple are planning to use birth control and are adamantly NOT raising their kids in the Catholic Church. I did think it was weird to make vows that they don't intend to keep right alongside the vows to love, cherish, and be faithful, which (presumeably!) they do intend to keep.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• in a church, not at all weird...its what a traditional wedding consists of. as a part of a religious marital ceremony like Freela mentioned, yeah thats weird.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I've never met anyone married in a church that wasn't religious. In fact I know very very few people who were married in a church - mostly the older generations. I don't think they are weird, but I think they are most likely trying to stick with familial tradition or with the wishes of others instead of themselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• no, I was married in a catholic church and I'm shinto....
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My husband and I are not Christian and so we married outside. It didn't feel right to be married in another faith's holy building when we didn't agree with that faith. I did kind of want to get married in the Protestant church in the town, though, because it was the most beautiful building in the whole town lol. But we got married in front of the duck pond at the park instead :) I was happier and more at peace with that decision.

I agree with Sabrina, I don't know anyone who was married in a church they didn't believe in. Or at least one of the parties anyway, my cousin married a catholic and they were married in the Catholic church, even though she wasn't Catholic (BTW, catholic ceremonies take freakin FOREVER. Shorten it, please lol, for the comfort of everyone.)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Meh. I'm sure some are completely weird. But you also have to realize that people who aren't religious frequently get a lot of static from family members to marry in a church. I know I did from my ILs and I know others have gotten the same thing. It may mean a lot to their family so they make a concession like getting married by the family's pastor or in the church their parents were married in. My husband and I put our foot down when my ILs wanted us to be married in their church by their pastor because we felt it was hypocritical and also it wasn't the wedding we wanted for ourselves. Not everyone feels comfortable being that forthright though.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I dont' know anybody thats an athiest get married in a church. My husband is agnostic and I believe in GOD but I dont' believe in religons as a whole. My parents are catholic. We got married in a methodist church. Was a beautiful service
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Not at all... getting married in a church is part of the culture, outside of religious belief. I would think that getting baptized in a church without having the beliefs of that religion would be odd, because that's not necessarily part of the larger culture. Also, Christianity is the default religion of America - even people with no real beliefs or lifestyle identify as Christian, so when it comes time for ceremonies, church is the natural choice. It's just "where you get married" for many.

Also, family pressure can come to bear here... our firstborn was baptized as an infant, even though infant baptism is NOT the belief of my husband or me. We did it because his family would have been quite upset if we hadn't, so I imagine that some might get married in a church simply because it's easier than trying to explain to religious parents that they aren't going to.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2010