bunk beds at a hotel

having a mini vacation this month and my kids (3 1/2 & 5) will be sleeping two nights in bunks.. their 1st time ever.

I assume the older kid goes on top?

Also what should I look for safety wise? It's an enormous national hotel chain but there's only 1 "family suite" in the whole hotel w/ the bunk bed so I am a little concerned about how often it's looked over for problems and whatnot. HELP!

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with PP. My 4 year old daughter sleeps on the top bunk, and our almost 2 year old is on the bottom. We have rules with our bunk bed - the bed is for sleeping, not for playing; only the person who is sleeping in the bed is allowed on the bed; no throwing things off the bed; use the ladder and no jumping off the ladder

I'm sure your kids will think the bunkbed is pretty neat! :)
    fiestagrill

Answer by fiestagrill at 2:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• We have bunk beds. My 4 yr old sleeps on the top bunk. You just need to make sure they know not to play on the top bunk & also to always use the ladder. I would make sure there is a safety rail on top & that it is not wiggly. Also make sure the safety rail doesn't have a large gap where they could get their head caught. Check the underside of the top bunk & make sure the slats are secure and not sagging. I think basically you are checking the same kinds of things you would check for if you were checking a baby crib.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2010