how much do you pay a babysitter?

I've always been lucky enough to have a family member babysit for me, but i'll be having a teenager babysit my old year old son. How much should I pay him?

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would say $7 dollars an hour minimum, remember they do this in lieu of a traditional type job and they pay needs to be comparable so that it is truly worth it to them.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• $7/ an hour?!

Wow, that's WAAAAY out of my price range for a babysitter. Since it's a teenager, I would do like, $15/$20 a day, but not more than I could afford. A lot of times, when you're working a job that pays $12-$15/ hr, it's because you need the money. If you're having to pay $7/hr for a BABYSITTER, plus gas, bills, rent/mortgage, etc... you're really only making $5-$8 an hour! Plus, add an extra hour a day for dropoff/pickup time and the time you actually get to work!

A more expensive daycare in my area rounds off to about $2.50/hr, but that daycare pays to feed the children, and provides the environment too. So if I were having a teenager come to my house (or even at his/her parents house) to keep my DS, I'd pay between $75 and $100 a week. Not more.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I rarely use a sitter, but the 2 that I've used have agreed that $10.00 an hour is fair.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• It floors me that people want the best care for their child but they don't want to pay for it. You get what you pay for and you're talking about your freaking child!

OP-We have never paid a sitter so I'm not sure what is considered to be fair but I would expect to pay a decent amount of money to ensure proper care. I don't think that $7/hr seems unreasonable.
    Anonymous

• daycare is a box price they don't give sole attention to your child, teenagers makes 7$ min in a min wage job and if they prefer to work for you to help you out then why wouldn't you pay it. If you aren't making a lot of money then a single babysitter is not the way to go you need some sort of daycare that divides the attention
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• A child care here they get $160 for infant a wk. $150 for toddlers a wk and $143 for preschool a wk. I babysit kids after work and sometimes on wkends when needed. The one little boy I watch for 1.5hrs a day after school 4 days a wk(I get paid $50 \Week). Than sometimes I watch another little boy and girl, I get like $10/hr. Sometimes more depending on how many hours. If it is only a few hours she give me 40-50$..If it is 6-8hrs she pays me 85-100$
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• The daycare I signed my dtr up for was $370 a week, and that was about average for my area (near Boston) I'm doing the SAHM thing right now, but had to assure a spot for her for if/when I go back. The last time I babysat, I got $15/hour when I was in college
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 11:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2010