Do you cuss at your kids, tell them to shut up, etc? Or know anyone who does?

I am just curious as to how many moms out there actually do this. In the area where I live, I see it a lot and it makes me sick.

Example: One day I saw my neighbor outside smoking a cigarette and her 2 yr old son was inside jumping on the couch right in front of a window. She walks over to the window and screams at him "Sit your ass down and shut the f*ck up or I'm gonna beat your ass!"

Another example: Just a few days ago I overheard a co-worker talking on her cell phone to her 10 yr old son, telling him that he had better stop beating up on his younger brother or she was going to "f*ck him up" when she got home!

I hear moms talking to their kids like that all the time... no matter where I'm at -- Wal-Mart, the playground, etc. I just don't understand why anyone would talk to their kids that way!

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I do not do that. I dont think its funny or appropriate.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I don't and I never will. I do have the mouth of a sailor, but I never direct it AT my kids. I've known women who do, and their kids always act out the worst. I just think about how awful that must be on their self-esteem!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I never say shut-up. Its mean. If I am telling my son something, I may say a$$. And it may sound wierd, but my family and I lovingly call my children b*tchy babies. All in fun...
    Anonymous

• i dont cuss at them, but i do say "shut up" of "quiete" when im in my angry mode.
    ascora

Answer by ascora at 3:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I may tell my children to sit their @$$ down if I've asked them nicely fiftyeleven times and they still aren't listening. We have designanted calm down times, and sometimes, they don't feel like listening. The raising of the voice, followed by cussing is usually just when I've reached my boiling point. It isn't an every day occurrance-and I do end up apologizing cuz I really don't like to cuss. :(
    Anonymous

• I curse around my children (I don't really mean to sometimes it just slips out) but I have never cursed AT them or about them because I don't even do that to adults. The most they ever here is me saying some sort of explative if I've dropped something and broken it or hurt myself badly most of the time though I use son of a biscuit eater instead, because it makes me laugh.
    Anonymous

• NO way. I say "shush it" or say "be quiet." I dont tell my kids to "move" and instead I say "scooch."
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• no! sometimes i cuss at my husband in a room near my kids and i feel bad for that. ive said "oh will you just shut up" in my head or under my breath. they are just itsy bitsys. i couldnt say mean things to them. 1) its mean and 2) i dont want them to start saying that stuff, especially in public!
    Anonymous

• haha, the previous post is funny... bc my daughter will always push me out of the way and say "scu-me, scu-me" (excuse me). it is really cute and funny. just reminded me of that with the "scooch". i would never say "move" or "get out of my way" either.
    Anonymous

• Never. I don't swear at all. I don't yell. My kids and now my grandson are so sensitive from never having been yelled at that if you talk in a semi-loud voice they think you are yelling.

My grandson rarely hears no. He is 17 months and we try to save no for big things. If I slip and say no in a firm, yet not loud way you would think I screamed at him! Sometimes he even melts to the floor. What a difference from most toddlers that ignore you when you tell them no.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2010