Are private schools better than public? How much should a4y/o know?

My DD just turned four in january, she hasn't had much regimented or constructive lessons aside from small short playgroups and a week of summer nature day camp. We [my D.H. and I ] are not of the christian faith though his parents are devout. We are strongly considering sending our daughter to a christian /private preschool where her grandma is a teachers aid. She has a short attention span and cannot write her name yet has excellent vocab and communication skills we are of working poor socioeconomic status so tuition will be three months pat or our entire tax return. We are mostly concerned that her individual needs will be met so a small student /teacher ratio would be beneficial, we also are afraid she would be fiercely indoctrinated we want her to choose her religon freely and she is allowed to go to church of course but we dont want her to have so much emphasis of christianity in the curriculum. I want her to thrive.

GINSMUM123

Asked by GINSMUM123 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Homeschooling is best. If that's not a possibility waiting as long as possible to send a child to school is next best. The youngest I would send a child full time is 7. It would be good if you could wait until 12. Nothing beats one-on-one education. That is how children thrive in their eduction.

There are many resources available for homeschoolers now. If you have money there are many online options to choose from.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Christian preschools do A LOT of religious study. I taught in one, and I was not impressed. She doesn't need to know how to write her name until kindergarten. Public schools are better funded IF she is behind to help her where a private school will just let her slip behind. I think that you might be better off in a non-religious preschool it is hard to find not private in the preschool arena, but then of course enroll her in kindergarten for the next year in the public school system. A lot of people on here will tell you that public schools are evil and that the only way to go is homeschooling. I taught in private religious school and in a public elementary school, and I can say that public school is much better at catching early problems and fixing them. Just remember that she will have to conform not matter what school she attends and despite pop belief that is good it teaches adaptation to situations. That is JMO.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I have been to both private and public schools growing up. My children are in public school because the schools here are excellent! It just depends on the public school system where you live - you need to do some research on the school system wide and on the specific school you will be districted to should you choose public school. In many areas there are also magnet schools, charter schools, etc that are part of the public school system for you to choose from as well. There is a wide spectrum - some public schools are better, some private schools are better, it just depends on specifics.
    As far as preschool specifically, my kids went to a half day private church preschool and there wasn't much emphasis on religion. You would need to interview and ask specific questions. My kids learned no Bible verses or stories, although they did pray before snack time and had a Christmas program.

Answer by missanc at 9:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• my dh wants to send the kids to private school i dont. i really hope he has money for that,
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Actually, I beg to differ with 1 poster. *SOME* church run schools do a LOT of Christian education. Not all. My church owns a preschool. Both my kids attended it. The only way you'd know it was owned by the church was the building it was housed in, short simple grace before snacks and we had Christmas not winter parties. However, the school is *not* part of the church program. It is run by it's own board with it's own staff. The school is designed as an academic (age appropriate) pre-school and not a religious center. It's open to anyone and everyone - running with that very eclectic feeling in mind. We had Jewish students, Muslims students, agnostics, and Christians from other denominations. It was never an issue. Private vs Public? At any level, it depends on the schools in question. Can you visit this school during session and see what it offers? Watch a class in progress. Ask questions.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• also, the 2nd part of your question "how much should a 4 yo old know." It really depends on your school district. For example, in some districts, reading, basic addition/subtraction, etc that used to be associated with 1st grade is now basic kindergarten curriculum. In those areas, 4-yr old preschoolers will need to learn their letters, counting and other basic math skills, colors, shapes, etc. IN other areas, however, those skills are STILL 1st grade curriculum and K is still about learning the basics. You need to do some research into your own school districts program to figure out what is needed prior to entering kindergarten. It will vary. However, learning how to function in a classroom, follow simple 3-step directions independently, handling peer conflicts, basic personal care, etc is a must.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2010