Infant reflux medicine, day 4.

Son has been on it for 4 days now. I asked a few days ago about how long it takes to work, and was told usually around a week you'll see improvement, but by week 2 you'll get the full results. Should he have shown any improvement by now at all? Or does it literally take a full week just to see ANY improvement, because so far nothing has changed.

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 3:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It needs to be in his system for the full first week before his body can adapt to make the changes needed, so the full first week the meds are teaching his system, and then things should start getting better.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• With my daughter i actually took her to see a GI specialist because i was so concerned for her throwing up. They said that you should see an improvement the first dose of medicine even if its a small improvement. If you baby is on ZANTAC just from my experiance i would recomend taking him off and talking to you doctor about Previcid SALUTABS. Its the only thing that helped my daughter and it helps right away!
    MaddysMommy7208

Answer by MaddysMommy7208 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• What medication? I think it took about a week to really notice a change in my son. He was on Axid, which is in the same family as Zantac. Prevacid is an entirely different type of medication, and yes, if in a few weeks there is no change, a different type of medication should be considered.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• It took my daughter a little while to get used to her reflux. She was on Zantac I think, and we had to switch her formula to Similac Alumentum. After about a week she held her food down. I gradually weened her off of it, and she is doing good now. I hope theis was some help for you.
    dawnsmommy

Answer by dawnsmommy at 10:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I was just sitting here thinking and next time you go to the doctor and she doesnt want to listen to you...You need to tell her that she is not listening just because you are a young mother and she thinks you dont know what you are talking about...My aunt and I were talking the other night and it makes sense...I mean ya know...If what happened last time happens again... :D
    love ya dearest :D
    makenzimommy09

Answer by makenzimommy09 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2010