Out of Control 3 year OLD!

My son is very active & doesn’t listen to me or his dad at all. He's always on the go & getting into stuff. When he's around other kids he doesn’t play well with them, he'd rather hit, kick, bite, spit, or throw toys at them to see them cry and then laugh at them for it. He has started calling people bad names. He doesn’t just hit and kick other kids he does adults too. He grabbed a knife out of the sink and told me he was going to kill me and laughed about it. The thing is, I don’t understand how he is coming up with all this stuff because he isn’t exposed to violence. We monitor what he sees on TV. No punishments work with him. I am lost and don’t know what to do for him. I think there is something wrong whether it be ADHD, Bipolar or something else. I have brought this up to doctors several times & they say its just a phase & he'll grow out of it & if he doesn't then wait til he turns 6

new_mommy2507

Asked by new_mommy2507 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to change the way he acts! It's embarrassing and I am afraid that he is going to end up hurting some other kid, himself, or me! He is very strong!
    new_mommy2507

Answer by new_mommy2507 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• That really isn't normal or a phase. I would try and find a good child psychiatrist to see what the real issue is. They can find the true cause and whatnot. Good luck. Until then I would take all privileges away from him. If he can't play nice with other then he doesn't get to, he can't be nice to you then ignore him, he throws toys take them away etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I have done all that and he doesn't seem to care that he doesn't have any toys to play with or TV to watch! He finds other ways to have fun such as climbing in cabinets and throwing out whatever he finds just because he is angry about it. I am constantly having to chase him around to make sure he is not going to get hurt.

I have just called another pediatrician and made an appointment for him to go there March 10 to see if they will refer him to a psychiatrists or some other behaviroal specialists! I just hope they can help me help him.
    new_mommy2507

Answer by new_mommy2507 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Get locks on the cabinets, fridge etc. If he can't get into them it won't be fun. When he gets angry about not having anything to play with explain to him that if he would play nice he would have toys and friends until then he won't. That may help him realize, but I do think that there is something else wrong, and you need to be pushy with the doctor to get him seen by somebody.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Contact www.naomialdort.com and go on that forum there as well.
    Anonymous

• See the link Anger, Acting Out, Temper Tantrums, Aggresive Behavior on this link http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

Lots of books to help you and also to read with him to help explain what is or is not appropriate behavior.  At this age, when kids see their favorite character act a certain way, they want to also.  Counter that with some appropriate behavior books, movies, etc.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2010