a rock and a hard place

Need more info on breast feeding. Tried with my 1st son and didnt go so well. His brother is due in may and i'm cluless as to how to do it this time around. Please help!!!!!

a.mitchell09

Asked by a.mitchell09 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What do you feel that you DON'T know? What problems did you encounter the first time? It's important to nurse on demand, as often as baby wants, and for as long as they want, especially in the first few days/weeks, as this is when your supply is being established. Go to LLLI.org to find your local La Leche League, and go to their meetings. They're free, fun, educational and full of support. Any specific concerns, let me know and I'll help as best I can.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Nurse as soon after birth as you can, allow the baby to latch/unlatch on their own, nurse on demand, join a breastfeeding group on here and/or where you live- like an LLL group or a support group at the local hospital if they have one, give it at least two months before throwing in the towel, do as much research as you possibly can before the baby comes- spend as much or more time learning about feeding him as you do birthing him........
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Hard to advise without knowing what happened before. But let me throw out some general advise. First, I'll reiterate the advice of the first two posters.

Next, I'll direct you to the bookstore for a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. GREAT basic book.

And thirdly, I'll invite you to join the Breastfeeding Moms group here on CafeMom. LOADS of help there for you.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• This is a great overall how to get started article: How to Get Your Milk Supply Off to a Good Start

Attend a local La Leche League meeting while you are pregnant. You will get good info and support and know who to call if you hit any road blocks once baby arrives. go to Find a La Leche League Leader or Group Near You

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2010