Can babies feel pain during an abortion?

I would never have one, but I'm curious. I hear they can't then I hear they can..So...Can they? ((Poor babies)

ofcourseithurts

Asked by ofcourseithurts at 4:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• a fetus? i would say no
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I had an abortion-and I truly believe that they can. Worst decision I ever made.
    Anonymous

• Depends on when it's done. I believe they get nerve endings around 15-17 weeks. =(
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 4:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• If you read up on it, they say that babys in utero cant feel pain till around 7 months but that was just one website and I find that very hard to believe myself.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Yes, science has proven that their nervous system is developed enough early on that they do feel pain as early as 6 weeks.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Sorry about that anonymous...that's what I heard Jenae..that's so sad! That sounds like torture. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. :-/ way too many alternative solutions.
    ofcourseithurts

Answer by ofcourseithurts at 4:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• yes they can...if you're ever seen a video of an abortion you can hear the fetus screaming.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• you get different answers because lots of people are biased. pro-choice people will tend to say no, pro-life people will tend to say yes.

obviously it depends on the stage of development, but it's still hard to find an unbiased answer.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1566772,00.html
    http://discovermagazine.com/2005/dec/fetus-feel-pain
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/23/health/main792338.shtml

i basically believe what the last link has to say

"A review of medical evidence by a group of researchers in California concludes that fetuses likely don't feel pain until the final months of pregnancy, a powerful challenge to abortion opponents who hope that discussions about fetal pain will make women think twice about ending pregnancies.

Critics angrily disputed the findings and claim the report is biased."
    Anonymous

• Yes... they have done studies. You can google it. Like when they injected a solution to kill it the fetus moved away from it when the solution touched it and acted as if in pain. I would imagine similar studies were done using medical instruments... but if a liquid solution could cause a baby pain, I would reason that a sharp instrument would cause it pain as well.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Answered at 3:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 by:
    * aliishott2
    yes they can...if you're ever seen a video of an abortion you can hear the fetus screaming.

& obviously that would have to be after the vocal cords are developed.... ? of course you didn't say what week, so you could have meant a 30 week old fetus...
    Anonymous