What do you pay a part time housekeeper?

I work 6 days a week at home, my husband works 40+ hours a week outside of the home. He will not do ANYTHING to help me around the house because in his mind it is MY job. Now, I agree to an extent, I am here with the kids all day, I keep the house up. But I mean, he does absolutely zilch around here. God forbid I ask him for any assistance at all, the whole world crashes. I have had enough and so am going to be quitting my current job here at home and looking for something new. The problem is, I've worked outside the home before and he never did anything then either. I am going to have to hire someone to help me out. I know costs vary by place, but those of you that do have someone come in, what is your cost? Specific please, by the hour, session, month, etc. I'm thinking if someone could just come in one day a week and help with the "deep" cleaning type stuff it would lift a bunch off of my plate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I can't help you on the professional experience. But if you want to think outside the box at all here's an idea. My friend and I went on a missions trip to Africa a couple years ago and the way we paid for the trip was by cleaning...some houses were one time deep cleaning and an office was every other week for 2 hours. If cost becomes an issue for you, going to women in a church, college or organization who want to make money is a good idea. :) Good luck!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• well if you go on craigslist, most people hiring for cleaners are only offering about $7.50-8.80 per hour for maid employees. Which means they are going to charge at least 3 times that per person to clean your house per hour. If you find someone who just does it themselves, I would say... if it takes 2 hours to do it, $50 per time (to be fair). And that is PROBABLY a better deal than calling Molly Maid or whoever is out there. But you could call around and see what the going rate is for maids in your area, and then if you hire someone outside of a company, you have a good idea what to pay them, which would be less than a company probably.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My mom has someone come in once a month to do deep housecleaning for her (mom is blind) and the woman charges $10 an hour. She works independently and has a full list of clients.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2010