How do I confront a bad hair style?

I went into a salon for a loose wave perm. I've never been to this salon before the woman I saw was recommended to me by a friend. Anyway, she apparently put my hair in too small of rollers and took it out earlier than normal to get what she thought was going to be a loose wave look. WRONG! So shamefully, I paid and didn't say I hated it. I know it was because I was in shock that she had gotten it so wrong and I hate confrontations. I had a frizzy, looked like my hair was crimped, bushy mess. I washed, conditioned, and hot oil treated my hair many times to get the perm out. Most of the perm is out but I want it fixed professional and not just lose $70. How should I confront the salon - I do not want to let the same woman touch my hair and to be honest I'm embarrassed to confront her at all because I feel like I should have said something before leaving the place. Anyone been in this situation? Can I just deal with management

MaxLover

Asked by MaxLover at 4:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• The first thing that you need to do is call the salon owner, manager and ask them what they can do to rectify the situation.. Some salons will reimburse you a portion of the money, some will offer to "fix" it some will offer both.
    My X husband owned a salon and I will tell you my unsolicited opinion - other than what you have already done, it is very difficult to un-do a perm. A perm is chemical reaction that changes the structure of your hair - just be careful of any chemical services that will supposedly "fix" it - you may end up with worse.
    I feel you pain - I am suffering from a REALLY bad haircut right now and other than wearinga ball cap 24-7 there is not much I can do but let it grow....
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 4:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I personalyy would not go back to that Salon again. You are going to have to wait like 6 week to get another perm I think

Answer by louise2 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Chefronswife - Do you think it would be okay to ask for a deep conditioning treatment for free? I mean I myself spend $20 at Sally Beauty this weekend and I think it would help the damage of my hair to get this done professionally....
    MaxLover

Answer by MaxLover at 4:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• call the owner or manager and say, "Hey, i got a perm, and didn't like it, but went home with it hoping it would loosen up.. .IT DIDN'T, and looks terrible, and I want a refund." They will probably apologize and refund you if it hasn't been TOO long since then.
    Then, I would go to another salon. I used to get perms twice a year, and I was lucky I found the sylist I did. I had the OWNER of the salon do my hair every time and was always satisfied. A loose perm will NEVER use small rollers... woooooooooow, crazy! I would google salons and see if they have reviews in your area. Then, when you call, ask to talk to the owner/manager and say "this is the kind of hair i have. this is what I want done. this is what happened at the last salon. i need someone who knows what they are doing. can you set me up with someone who does?" and they will set it for themselves or one of thei trusted stylists. Good luck!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• GL. I have been there done that. That's why I grew my hair so long and that's ok because to this day I still remember the worst perm ever on my head. It burned and I looked like a fat piggie head. Now I have long hair and I dye it blond and yeah its ok , I like porno hair. Anything is better than a 1980's perm on your head. How fugly ................
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2010