What do you do when no one wants to participate? :(

We have enrolled our ds in spring baseball but no one seems to participate as far as taking care of stuff like the opening parade, parties, youknow what ever it takes to get all this season started on the right foot. I feel bad and guilty if I could I would try to help out but I work and I am sure everybody else does too. I mean we don't have a team mom yet no one is ordering any type of team stuff like (hats, shirts etc) I feel like we are starting off on the wrong foot. Why do I feel bad it is not my problem I don't mean to sound so hateful but they should try to be alittle more organized before they start anything they shouldn't assume the parents will all be able to do stuff for the team even though we all want to but can't.
venting...can someone come up with a suggestion? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well, how can you be mad if you are doing the same thing? You are sitting there pointing the finger to have everyone else help out. If you can find tme to get your child in the sport, then you also need to find time to help with the team activities. Dont depend on everyone else. And, it is your problem. You child is part of the team like everyone else.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• OP here...I don't understand why you say that all I wanted to know is there any other suggestions out there to work around it? Obviously your weren't NO HELP!!!!
    Anonymous

• Ordering t-shirts, hats, etc. CAN be done by a working mom. Coordinate everything via emails and a few evening phone calls. Place the order at work and arrainge for pick up when you are free.
    I've never heard of an opening parade.
    The end of the year party.....find a place and get a price per family and then again send emails out and make a few phone calls reminding everyone.
    I understand about trying to work around working parents, but you just have to put your foot down, step up to the plate and make some phone calls and send some emails. Delegate and Assign tasks. Good luck. Its a pain, but it can be done.
    Anonymous

• I agree. You absolutely can work and help out. Send the coach an email and see what you can do to help. Many things can be done online or on off days. You don't have to be a SAHM to help out. Get a list of everyone's emails and ask for help. Be specific about your needs, though, don't just throw out a "hey, can you help support the team this year" email because that can be overwhelming. Sadly, it sounds like everyone is taking the "it's not my problem, but it needs to be fixed" attitude on the team. I hope it turns around for the kids.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Listen, I dont know how much a baseball team takes I know it did sound more than what I've done for soccer. BUT... I am a working mom, single mom, who several seasons worked 11/2 jobs so, I'm not just blowing...

I had the same feeling the answer is to take some initiative yourself. Network with other mom's that have been there longer and talk to the coach... some things you can do around work (making some phone calls etc.) I used to just be a point touch... I'd e-mail all the parents about practicies, games, who was up next for snacks etc. It helped to bring everyone toghether and get the right attitude going... trust me when I say I DO NOT have enough time nor was I ever the cheerleader/organizer type but I was lucky enough to have gotten some ideas from another mom and just tried to work them in.
    Take the initiative and then get other to join in. It will wok and you'll know you did what u could. GL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2010