What is the name of this car seat?

About a year ago I read somewhere here on cafemom about a car set that you can use the 5 point harness until they are 100lbs. I can't remember the name of the car seat or the name of the post where I read it. My biggest problem is my son is the right height for a booster, but his is only 30 lbs (4 years old). Since he is so small, weight wise, I would like to be able to keep him in a 5 point harness, but was told because he reached the height limit I had to put him in a booster. Also, I remember reading this car seat is safer than a booster seat. Does anyone know of the car seat I'm talking about? If so, where can I find it? Thanks ladies..I appreciate any information you can give me.

TiredbutHappy1

Asked by TiredbutHappy1 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• there is NO car seat that harnesses to 100 lbs.... there are a few that harness to 80
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Eddie Bauer makes a high back booster with 5 point harness that is good until 100lbs.

Here is the link:http://www.target.com/Eddie-Bauer-Deluxe-High-Booster/

Good luck
    ksmootchies

Answer by ksmootchies at 9:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Like a PP said, there are no car seats that harness to 100 lbs. There ARE car seats that harness to 80 (although very hard to find an expensive). The Sunshine Radian 80 would be an example. Many carseats are usuable to 100 lbs, but as a belt positioning booster, NOT with the use of the harness straps.

I personally would recommend a Graco Nautilus. I have these for both of my children and they are great. They harness to 65 pounds (which is quite higher than the usual 40 lbs), then become a belt positioning booster to 100 lbs. The headrest adjusts, which is great because it fits a wide variety of heights. I did a TON of research before purchasing carseats, and this seat just made the most sense.

Keeping your child harnessed is DEFINITELY the safest way to go. A 5 point harness offers so much more protection for a child than a regular seat belt does.
    fiestagrill

Answer by fiestagrill at 1:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I have to agree with fiestagrill. Britax also makes a couple of seats that harness up to 80 lbs but cost around $300. The Eddie Bauer seat given as an example only harnesses up to 40 lbs. It can be used as a belt positioning booster up to 100 lbs as is the case with many car seats.

I too did months of research and speaking with other mommies. I also talked with store employees and did internet research. Since I personally cannot afford $300 I felt that the next best thing would be the Graco Nautilus. DS loves the seat. He says that it is comfy and really enjoys having the secret compartments to hide stuff. I loved the idea that the head rest was adjustable. As DS has gotten taller I have been able to adjust it as needed. He still has plenty of room to grow. Safety wise the head rest also makes sort a cocoon around the childs head and the seat itself is reinforced with 2 steal rods. I will buy it again for our second car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• at this time there are not car seats that go up to 100lbs other than special needs seats, these seats are very very costly (300 to 500 in price). if you are speaking about these seats you can find those seats at this http://www.adaptivemall.com/safetycarseats1.html sight. i believe the post you are referring to was featuring the columbia which would fall under this category. otherwise britax and sunshine kids both carry models that harness to 80lbs (britax frontier and sunshine kids radian 80). The britax frontier does indeed convert to a booster car seat as well so this would be ideal for you as it does have a longer life span as well. hth!! please feel free to email me with any other questions :D
    karen143

Answer by karen143 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Ksmootchies - Any Dorel (Cosco, Eddie Bauer, Safety First) 3-in-1 convertible car seat will only harness to 40 or 50lbs. It will then booster to 80 or 100lbs. Those weights depend on the model of the seat. These seats are NOT recommended because the harness is generally outgrown early and it makes a terrible booster.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 1:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Thank you all for your responses. I took DS to 3 different walmarts and target. I got the same response in all 4 stores..his favorite car seat was the Graco Nautilus 3 in 1. He said it was very comfortable and he liked how he didn't have to hold his cup or reach over the side of the seat to get it. He also likes that it's easy for him to snap himself into (of course I check and make sure it is latched). It makes him feel like a big boy. Told me this was his race car, car seat....LOL. I guess it kind of reminds him of the seats in a race car. I appreciate your help in helping me find a car seat that is safe and comfortable for him. Thanks!!
    TiredbutHappy1

Answer by TiredbutHappy1 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• GREAT CHOICE! My 5 year old LOVES her Nautilus, but when she outgrows it, she is going into a Britax Frontier!
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My DS also said it was comfortable and calls it his race car seat. The only thing I hate about it is when he falls asleep his head falls to his chest. I worry that if I have to swerve suddenly he is going to either get whiplash or break his neck....and it can't be too good for his neck sleeping like that. :(
    TiredbutHappy1

Comment by TiredbutHappy1 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2010