if you caught your child with something that you know they stole (and you already made it home) what would you do?

would it matter what it was? a stick a gum or a 100 dollar item, would you still punish them the same?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• my dad told me a story about how he had stolen an apple from the grocery store (my grandmother was there buying food) and they got home and she had asked him where he had gotten it from, and he said he got it from the store. she marched him back, and made him appologize and pay for the apple.
    I would do the same exact thing.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 5:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• my son actually did this, he took a shot glass, he like the dragon pic on it. so my hubby took him back to the store and we had a friend who is a cop meet them down there and she talked to my son about stealing. and my dh made my son apologize to the cashier. they said it was no big deal that kids always take stuff...but to us it was a big deal. he hasnt stolen anything since the talk with the cop scared the hell out of him. i know it seems harsh but if he would of been 5 or so years older he would of been arrested if caught.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I'd definitely march him back to apologize!!! He needs to know stealing is wrong no matter how much it is!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 5:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• As pp have stated when this happened we did as they did. My son was driven back to the store. He had to go in and tell the manager, give the $2.00 toy back and he had to come in after school the next day to sweep floors for 2 hours. He was 9. To mu knowledge he never stole again.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• i wouldn't punish them, but i would lecture them not to do it anymore.
    ascora

Answer by ascora at 5:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• it depends on the age and what it was. if we made it home from the grocery store, and it was a pack of gum i would reprimand and take it away. However if we were still at the store or not far, I would go back and make them give it to them and apologize for stealing it. However, if it was a pricier item--a toy or something, I would pack us up (assuming it was possible at that point) take them back, and apologize. I would do that plus another punishment, like time out or a spanking, if the child was old enough to understand better what was wrong, especially if they were at least maybe 4 or 5 and KNEW better beforehand.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• If the child was old enough to know that stealing was wrong I'd take them back to the store no matter what they took. If my 2 year old picked up something and put it in her pocket I'd take it away, but I wouldn't see the point in taking her back to the store to apologize since she doesn't yet grasp the concepts of stealing and buying things.
    Anonymous

• I would spank my child's butt. Then take them back to the store and make them pay for it with their own money(they still wouldn't get to keep the item that they stole) and apologize to the manager. My kids have yet to steal something because I actually watch my kids and I don't let them out of my sight while we are in the store....just sayin'.

Anonymous

• Depends which child....my 1 year old or my 17 year old??? My baby would not know better but if it were one of the other three we would return to the store, request a manager, return the item and apologize. If the manager saw fit, have him call the authorities. Stealing is WRONG....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I think it depends on the age of the child. My 3 yr old took a ball from Spencer's in the mall a few months ago. She was in the stroller & we didnt notice she had it till we left the mall. We just took it from her & explained that things in the store cost money & we aren't allowed to just take them. We have to pay for them first. Now, if my 13 yr old took something & I caught them, then we would have been right back in the mall taking it back!
    Anonymous