Do you think past 2 is too old to breastfeed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• No. Personal choice.
    Anonymous

• i don't see the point
    Anonymous

• Personally, I think it's too old...because they start noticing things like breasts and other parts of the body. I say when that time hits...it's time to wean!
    But like the first anon said...it's a personal choice.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 5:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• No, but I understand why people think it is. Until I had my son I thought it was crazy too.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 5:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My 2 year and a half year old say's nope, not too old. :)
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• It's a personal choice so I don't judge....but imo yes, I think it is - I wouldnt do it!
    Anonymous

• i dont think its technically too old... but i think you have to have a cut off point. like my guy has all but 3 of his teeth and he is 18 months... i would NOT want his mouth on my boob at this point! Plus, he is SOOOOO busy that he just runs around with his sippy cup and is totally ok with that... he LOVES his sippy cup... when it comes time to ween him off of that... now that is something I dread more than potty training!
    Honestly, I think its kind of weird... just because a child needs to learn to be independent... I think it kinda messes with attachment and such. I say enjoy the bonding til about one, then switch to the sippy. I wouldn't want to pump at this point, and am too busy to sit down and let my kid suckle away.
    But to each their own, I suppose.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Oh lord...this question AGAIN...such a lack of education on Cafemom these days. How sad. :(

The World Health organizations recommends breastfeeding until AT LEAST 2 and there after as long as the mother and child both desire.

I breastfed my daughter until she was 2 when she self weaned which I believe was because I was 4 months pregnant and my milk was beginning to change. I am currently breastfeeding my 8 month old son and will breastfeed him until he's at least 2.

Psychological studies show that children who breastfeed longer and self wean are more socially adjusted, in better health then their counterparts who were not all to breastfeed full term and have higher IQs. There was actually a study completed last year about IQs. It was done in Canada if you want to look it up.

It's also beneficial for moms to continue nursing past a year. Every 4 months past a year you BF your breast cancer risk goes down by 10%!!
    Anonymous

• yeah i think a two year old is waaayyy too old to breastfeed.. cause by time their two years old.. they can eat acutal food by theirselves
    bestmomtobeever

Answer by bestmomtobeever at 5:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Nope. My son is 2 and nearly 4 months and still wanting to nurse. He nurses one time before bed and then again in the morning. During the day he comes to it for comfort only so not very often.

I will continue until my son has fully weaned...he has weaned himself pretty well so far.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2010