Can you laminate cloth?

I've got hand-stitched place mats that are PERFECT for my kitchen, made by a dear friend who made me promise to actually USE them on the table, but I'm afraid to, because I KNOW they'll get stained and such, especially with the kids and you know how accidents just happen.

Would I be able to laminate them somehow? A good sealant of some sort so that I can still use them and they'll stay as awesome as they are right now? Something I can wipe off easily when I'm cleaning up after a meal.

debra_benge

Asked by debra_benge at 5:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i dont know why u wouldnt be able to but not sure where u would go to have it done
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Scotchguard.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• sure. look in the craft store. I got this spray sealant I used on an apron I made.Didn't even make it stiff.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Do you sew at all? If so you can go to a fabric storeand buy the thin, clear tablecoth plastic.. Cut it to size leaving a seam allowance. Placew the mat inside and stich around all sides...or..make it like a pillowcase and you can slide the mats in and out as needed. Tha's what I would do anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I also recommend what GrnEyedGrandma said. If you're not into sewing, you can try that self-laminating sticky paper, and just leave a good margin around the edge.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• OR, just thought of this after I added the last answer...

Just put the mats down and then use a clear plastic table cloth over them, like a furniture cover. It's a little weird, but your place mats will stay nice.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You can also buy iron-on vinyl.
    D.Mary

Answer by D.Mary at 5:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• GrnEyedGrandma: I do sew! I sew quite a bit, and I don't know why I didn't think of that!! Thank you!! I think I'm going to have to go to town this evening and pick up some of that plastic!! I just want something to protect them, and if I have to replace it every so often, it's not a big deal!

I'd check a craft store, TMJ121099, but the closest one is 2+ hours away. I live in a small town and we're kinda (ok, REALLY) lacking in any sort of decent craft store. It sucks!

Thanks, Ladies!!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 5:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2010