How can I get my 1mth old to stop vomiting at almost every feeding?

I have tried everything and the doctors are no help. I changes his milk to soy formula. The doctor told me to try putting a tsp of rice cereal in this milk and that didnt work either. The doctor said that he was vomiting a lot because he has acid reflexes. Has anyone had a baby with that same problem? If so, how can I get my baby to not vomit as often? and how long does it take for tha acid reflexes to go away?

mommaY107

Asked by mommaY107 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have they discussed the possibility of pyloric stenosis with you? My grandson had that and needed to have surgery at that same age.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• try breastfeeding. i dont think you should give him rice cereal with his milk at that age. ask another pedetrician's opinion about this problem.
    ascora

Answer by ascora at 5:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Have you tried feeding him in a sitting position? tried feeding less per feeding and feeding times closer together?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• We switched to soy formula then we tried a couple different brands before finally finding one that wasn't as hard on him. We put the rice cereal in his formula until he was 1 then we put rice cereal in his milk until he was almost 2. He still has it but not as bad as when he was a baby.
    Anonymous

• yes my son had acid reflux when he was born. His doc put him on an actacid for a couple months and it went away. BTW he is on Similac Sensitive formula and that helped too!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 5:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I do agree that breastmilk is MUCH easier on their tummies, but if it isn't an option, then it isn't an option. If they're certain he's got reflux, why haven't they put him on a medication? Speaking as someone who has reflux, and has had a child with reflux, the meds do WONDERS.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My son had horrible reflux due to prematurity. The rice is a common way to help. If that amount isnt working talk to you doctor about uping it alittle. Also, ask him about a anti acid medication(prilosec, ect). And try to when you feed him, make sure he is sitting up as much as possible and keep him still. Try to keep him sitting up for at least 30 minutes after feeding.
    My son was getting breastmilk(I had to pump) and he still had it horribly.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• my son had it till he became mobile. keep him upright when you feed him (never feed him laying down) and always let him sit for around 20 to 30 mins after each feeding. also make sure you burp after every ounce. atleast try to burp after every ounce.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• sounds like ps as pp stated, is it projectile? try feeding smaller amounts more frequently and start breastfeeding if you can
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• my son had the same issue he threw up with reg. formula so we went to different kinds, he still got sick, we switched him to soy an that made it worse.. turns out hes allergic to milk protien an soy.. found this out the hard way with a nice trip to er =/. you may want to talk to your dr to see if hes allergic, or get a second opinion good luck!
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 7:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2010