over 30 a million dollar and more houses for sale in one town

So i used to nanny on the east coast for a while and my location was a very prominent area. Everybody was so into the material items and had to have the latest things because they're co-worker or friend had it. And so many were living beyond they're means and would openly discuss it, but in they're words, "Ya know, it's ok because everybody does it" i was always a little confused by that because i wasn't raised that way, i was raised in a very modest midwest community. Well, i was online today looking at a real estate website and in this 1 town alone there are over 30 house for sale that are all over a million dollars. I was extremely shocked, but not surprised. I guess i knew it would catch up to them, but didn't think that many would get hit at once, but i guess the economy has taken a bunch down. But it almost makes me chuckle on the inside because they always thought they were better than everybody. Is this wrong of me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• I can understand your delight. I don't feel all that sorry for people who have been forced to downsize due to living beyond their means. I haven't ever heard anyone talking about doing it intentionally, but that would really bother me. I do feel sorry for people who have lost jobs.
    Anonymous

• I thin it's wrong get delight in someone else's downfall. They lived above their means and had to sell their house that is no different then a middle or poor person losing their house for the same reasons. I don't feel bad for anyone in that category but I don't get joy out of it either. I wish those who had a lot of money would save but again a lot of people with a lot less money don't save so how are they different? I think we have a portion of people who have classism issues which would explain why you'd chuckle at a situation that is not funny at all.

Anonymous

• OP; I don't chuckle because they don't save, i chuckle because they like living the high life on money they don't have. I was always taught, if you don't have the money, you go without. Not, you open up a new credit card, and when that's almost maxed you open another one. And i laugh at the mindset of, well everyone else is doing it, so i should too. I don' t think it makes me less classy, but i do think i'm a little wiser for only using money that i have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2010