Do you know any parents who treat their kids like they are their own personal servant instead of their child?

I posted a question earlier about parents who cuss at their kids or are verbally abusive and it reminded me of something else that is kind of on that order.....

A former friend of mine lived with me for a few months last year and she was one of the laziest parents I have ever seen -- she had 2 girls, ages 1 and 3 and she never did ANYTHING with them. All she ever did was yell at them, boss them around, and lay on my couch playing on her lap top all day.

I felt so bad for her oldest daughter because she was so lazy she made her daughter pretty much do everything for her -- all I ever heard was her yelling at her 3 yr old to go get a diaper for her sister, go get her a soda out of the refrigerator, go upstairs to the bedroom and get her cigarettes(!!!), go get the remote control, etc, etc. It seemed like the only time she talked to them was to yell at them or make them do something for her!

Isn't that ridiculous?!

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do you all know any parents like this?!
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• my dad
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Nope, not at all. Sometimes DH and I will ask my DD to get or do something for us, but not to that extent.
    I have never known any other person to do that, either.
    Anonymous

• Yep...my dad was like this. Came home every night drunk from the bar, laid on the couch and then the orders began. Get me a beer. Make my dinner. Get me another beer. Take my boots off. Ect...
    Anonymous

• hmmm... well we have choirs for a our 10yr old and she helps us out when we ask, but not to the extent of what you where saying. for one I would never let any child of mine under the age of 7 go up and down stairs without my going with them. I am a paranoid mother and I know anything can happen. Also, I don't like my kids touching anything to do with cigs or alcohol. and to answer you question, no I do not know anyone who does that.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Yeah I know someone like that! She makes me so mad. It is the worst with her stepson, he is constantly getting things for them, milk in their cups, making them formula, making PB&J for lunch...I actually remember one time he got yelled at for taking so long to clean his room, well when your only 9 and your 3 little brothers ages 1,2,&3 keep comming into your room and your parents wont get them out it is a little hard to clean!!
    SuperMommy22

Answer by SuperMommy22 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I don't yell at my kids to do stuff (other then clean up messes they make) but they like getting things for me so I let them do it. Already today my son filled my cup like 3 times (didn't drink it all but he came in and asked if I wanted it filled again). He's 8 and likes to help me. He once brought me a bell so I could just ring for him when I wanted something which cracked me up. So I started calling him my slave boy.
    I don't "make" them do stuff. They want to. In fact they fight over who's going to go get me a soda or drink or whatever it is I want and will come to me and ask if I need anything.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Hi All, Iv'e heard this all my life, from our house & in other peoples houses.... I was (still am), one who gives a certain look to do it yourself....Our nephew is like this..... As soon as the kids, (4), can walk he'd start training them.... I saw him do this once, & I was so pissed off, we left.... I don't want my nephew here at all.... He'll steal you blind.... Even if you aren't home he'll "borrow" whatever he wants, then later, tell you he returned it.... Plain & simple, hee ripped you off.... I have many brothers... When they were younger, they use to send our 2 boys to the store for beer/cigs.... I was coming from the grocery store, & saw my boys walking back to our house.... I stopped, asked what the hell they were doing.... Getting these for Uncle Ray/Wayne.... Pissed wasn't the word that I was.... I took the stuff back, told the boys to go home... I got their money back, told my brothers to get the hell out....Donna.
    dobrd

Answer by dobrd at 6:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• justanotherjen

~~~~

Haha. Enjoy that while it lasts, Jen. Another couple years and they will be fighting over who HAS to do it this time. I'm glad I made good use of my slaves, er children before they became teenagers.

I look at it this way. I do for them. I see no harm in having them do for me. It teaches them valuable skills for later in life, too. But I don't feel I abused the privilege...or the children.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• yep my SIL! She had a son when her daughter was like 6 and she literally makes her take care of the kid. We briefly stayed with them when he was like 1 and her daughter 8 fed him, changes him...I mean without her she had no sitter to wacth her damn son! I was like OMG...helping is one thing but she made her more than help. One time her daughter went on a vacation I was like man that sucks she may have to watch her own kid!

Having kids help is fine to make them do too much is another thing though.
    Anonymous