Breastfeeding and Anti-depressants

I'm on one 50mg pill of Zoloft and one 50mg pill of Paxil combined. I have a condition called D-MER and just one antidepressant just doesn't help. I don't want to breastfeed, pumping doesn't help, but formula [soy, lactose-free and milk based] make my baby girl sick and I need to use Neosure for preemies or Nutrimigen for colicky babies [in my book, she was around 35wks when born and 36 for my midwife's]. My insurance won't cover it because it's not medically necessary and I don't qualify for WIC. Do you think I can [after talking to my doctor] have them increase the amounts and take two 50mg Zoloft and two 50mg Paxils?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont get it... so you don't want to feed your baby at all?

Just make an appt with your DR, or call hers and ask about the medication. If you have to breastfeed then I would take as little medication as possible, but talk to your DR.

They'll probably tell you its one or the other, breastfeeding or upping your meds.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• They tell me the antidepressants are safe while breastfeeding. I DO want to feed my baby; I just don't want to because of the bonding strain it's causing. I have called the pedi today and he said that insurance won't cover the formula unless she medically needs it, and she definitely doesn't.
    Anonymous

• ETA: I don't want to breastfeed because it causes issues with bonding.
    Anonymous

• I'm not really sure what is going on and what it is that you want to do. But, I will tell you that it is safe to breastfeed on zoloft and paxil.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Yes, you can up the meds. Lact-Med records doses of up to 60 mg of Paxil alone as being fine, and no problems with Zoloft dosages up to 83 mg.

As to bonding, can I tell you the dirty little secret? ALL bonding is... is infant self defense. If you haven't eaten the baby or tossed the baby out the window, your bonding is fine. **grin**

"Bonding" is a catch phrase that its authors backed away from more than a decade ago. Women feel like they're inadequate because they don't have any melty feelings when they look at their babies. Pththththt to that.

Truth? Real life is more like Roseanne than a rose garden, whoever said babies are bundles of joy never HAD one and those soft-focus Gerber ads of mothers and babies are just someone else's fantasy. It's OK to feel frustrated with baby...just don't ACT on it.

((hugs)) I know what you're going through!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Thank you so much! I finally was able to have my meds adjusted today and they even prescribed an anti-psychosis medicine. I finally broke down and spent the money on a can of formula, just to give my a couple days break. Thank you to the ladies who've helped!
    Anonymous