culinary school

Whats culinary school like? Is it for the really creative,artisitc person? Is it something that people with learning disabilites could do and make a decent living.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Many people have developed interests in this field (partly due to glamorization by the Food Network and other TV shows). As a result there has been a flood of people entering into culinary school only to find out that there were no jobs upon completion. Some of which discover that they actually do not like cooking in a high pressure setting. I have also heard from professional chefs that the best way to get into this line of work is to start at entry level (dish washer, etc) and spend time learning from the cooks and work your way up.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• i went to one. don't need to be creative to get in, as long you have passion for cooking your good to go.
    ascora

Answer by ascora at 6:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My DH wants to go. But he doesn't actually want to be a chef, he just wants to expand his cooking expertise. He is an excellent cook already, but he's yearning to learn MORE lol. Where we are now, there are 2 excellent culinary schools within a couple hours. One is Le Cordon Bleu, and the other is The Art Institutes. I am not sure how much of a living you could make off of it. I think that really depends on the demand in the area where you live. Yes, if someone can get a good job as a chef at a nice restaurant, pay would probably be quite decent. And definitely if someone opened their own restaurant (and it was really good) then pay would be good too (though that is a LOT more work than just working for someone else!)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My nephew is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America. While it is considered to be "the Harvard of cooking schools", he was unchallenged by the curriculum.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2010