Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Offered a job with a residency requirement...but just got a rental outside the required area. What should I do?

I need to work, and I need a place to stay (currently I'm living with my cousin). What would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • Check your local and state laws. There should be a form your new employer can give you stating that you are required to live closer to work/on the premises that will release you from the lease.

    Had to do this a few years back. We were living in Nevada, so I don't know how it may work in other states.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • I have not given a deposit yet for the house I've rented.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • need a little more details

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • So no lease, no payments made whatsoever? Sounds like you're not obligated.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • I'm not obligated beyond the fact that I've verbally accepted the rental. The job states that I have to stay in the geographical area I will be selling in. My problem is I really need to accept the job and I really need to move (My 4 kids and my cousin's 2, plus 2 adults living in a 4 bedroom house. Would it be smart to work and use my cousin's address that IS in the required area? But I will be getting reimbursed for milage and that will make it apparent that I drive 50 miles out of the area each night. I've been looking for a job for 4 months and this is the first offer I've gotten...and I wouldn't want to have to live in this area, it's very high crime.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • Girl i say take the job. Be honest and explain that to the person you were going to rent from. You cant pay rent without a job. The job is requiring you to move. You have to do whats best for you and your kids and right now you need money to support your kids.

    Answer by lilmsnay83 at 2:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

  • Take the job, tell the landnord the truth asap, so they can rent to someone else. Look for a new place within the required area. The entire area can't be high crime. Do some more reasearch. Ask HR at the company where they would recommend. Maybe there is an area "just over the line" that would work out and not be 50 miles out of the area.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work

Next question overall (Pregnancy)