should i try a VBAC?

My first i tried to have him natural but a long story and it ended up c section. I wanted to try a Vbac this go around.. im 18weeks.. but my doctor asnd the hospitals where i go dont do them. I would have to travel 2 hours to be able to have a vbac. Do you think i should do it or just stick with the scheduled c section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Do you think that when you are in labor getting in the car and driving 2 hours to a different hospital with a doctor you don't know is really a good idea?

The vback its self I don't see anything wrong with - its the rest of it.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Do you have a midwife practice or birthing center that is better suited for VBAC care in your area? I would keep researching other options for care. Home birth is not an option for everyone, but if you have home birth midwives in your area who do VBAC care, they may be able to direct you.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• personally, i would do vbac. are there any homebirth midwives in the area? i would want to put safety first, and vbac is generally safer than repeat c-section. it's your choice. :-)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would try it. If you do you should meet with the other doctor to see if that is a good option for you. I could see you making the 2 hour drive if you leave as soon as labor starts I don't think that would be a problem.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Hi I am apart of a wonderful vbac group on here, there are many many options when you vbac and hospitals and doctors aren't always the best option. Our group has a lot of factual information to help guide your decisions. Stop by and get great support. CLick on me and you can find the group that way.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I agree with PP. Find a birthing center near you and see if they do VBACS.

Otherwise...

You could always go tour the hospital where you will give birth, ask the nurses for a recomendation for a midwife or doctor that delivers there, call the doctor's office and explain the situation. The doctor or midwife my require you to change practices now or they may be willing to working with you on that. Then when you go into labor just leave immediately. When you get to the city where the hospital is, if you are still not progressed enough to be at the hospital than get a hotel room, relax in the tub, watch tv, rest and then when it's time head over to the hospital.

My best friend's mom had her last baby when I was 12. I stayed the night on the night she went into labor. They lived 1.5 hours from the hospital so we just left when contractions were 20 minutes apart. The baby came 4 hours after getting to the hospital.
    Anonymous

• If you can find a way to do it, then yes, VBAC!
    ;-)
    If it were me, I would plan a homebirth with a midwife for the safest route possible.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Unfortunately in most state it is illegal to do a vbac at a birth center but you can do a homebirth. I will be vbacing in July so I have researched and researched and the group on here has the best info in one place.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I've had three c-sections and personally I've been there. I went 38 hours with my son and he just could not come out naturally.... I would hate to see you travel 2 hours and have a c-section anyways. Personally, ( I know other moms will jump down my throat) I don't typically believe in VBAC but it's totally up to you. You need to decide if traveling two hours in labor is a good idea, it isnt to me but good luck and really think about it
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Why NOT do a VBAC??? I had my 1st vaginally, my 2nd c section and my 3rd a natural vaginal birth at 42 weeks....not a single thing bad happened to me or my baby, we both did GREAT! There is MORE risk going with a repeat c section actually.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2010