How do I get my 5yr old Daughter intrested in reading?

She starts off happy about trying to read,but then she gets upset and quits after 3 or 4 words.I try to explain it is hard and takes alot of practice. But she storms off and wont try the rest of the day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hooked on Phonics!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 1:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• By you reading to her and using voices for characters and by you showing it is important and interesting to you!
    momnarmywife

Answer by momnarmywife at 2:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I would help her. Stay right there with her, and both of you sound out the words together. My dd did the same thing when she was first learning to read, she got so frustrated that she wasnt getting the words right away that she just didnt want to. As soon as I sat beside her and helped her sound out the words it got better. She is now 6 and reads above grade level. Good luck. ~Kristin~
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 3:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I taught my oldest (now 11) how to read at about 4 1/2. My other dtr will be 5 in sept and started learning a few months ago. They both learned all the letter sounds and worked on sounding words out and I'm all for phonics, but I'll tell you what. If what she needs is a confidence booster in her ability go to the library (or buy) and get Brand New Readers by Candlewick Press. They are very easy for little ones to read because the picture (based on the colors or what's in the picture) give them clues of what the words are. My 4yo was the same way, but after reading a few of these, I noticed she actually remembered the site words and was beginning to try to sound out a lot more words w/o getting frustrated.
    mnews

Answer by mnews at 10:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• take her to the bookstore and let her pick out some books on what she wants to read about. you could go to your library too. also, barnes and nobles has story hour on sat. and it is free. also, check into your local library, they might have something.
    mygirlsrock00

Answer by mygirlsrock00 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• First make her practice all the vowel sounds & make sure that she's aware of all the vowel sounds. Get some good books with interesting pictures but the text should be bold & bigger size. First ask her to go thru the picture, then ask her to read(help her to say the sound if she find it difficult)then see whether she can retell the story. Keep it short & make it more interesting. U don't have to spend money on books;u can get wonderful books from the library & let her select which one she likes the most. Also get some easy words books which u think she can read easily. It workded well for my child & is so much into reading now. I hope it works for u.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• There are also really good websites that may interest her more than the good ol' fashioned way. Starfall.com is great for this and it may feel less like learning and more like playing.
    colleengun

Answer by colleengun at 9:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Oh, I was going to mention starfall.com and another website too and forgot. My daughter likes starfall but likes literactive.com even better.
    mnews

Answer by mnews at 12:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• READ TO HER. Don't worry about any systems or websites. Simply finding books you both enjoy and reading them together does more than anything else you could do. Don't worry if she doesn't sit still and look at the pictures. Read as she plays; she may be an auditory learner. You might also explore some tactile books as a introduction to "lap time."
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 5:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Your child's "disinterest" may mask frustration with an inability to read. Here, from the website of the non-profit Intern. Dyslexia Assoc. website, are signs of dyslexia in a preschool child:
    Talking later than expected, a slowness to add new words, difficulty rhyming, and trouble following multistep directions.
    After a child begins school, the signs of dyslexia include:
    Difficulty reading single words, such as a word on a flashcard;
    Difficulty learning the connection between letters and sounds;
    Confusing small words, such as at and to;
    Letter reversals, such as d for b; and
    Word reversals, such as tip for pit.
    Having one of these signs does not mean your child has dyslexia; many children reverse letters before the age of 7. But, if several signs exist and reading problems persist, or if you have a family history of dyslexia, you may want to have your child evaluated by a "school psychologist" in private practice.
    EveryoneReading

Answer by EveryoneReading at 9:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2008