Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tax refund

In 2007 my boyfriend was self employed and he had to pay like 1600 and he put my daughter and I as a dependent. We had money problems so he ended up not paying the whole amount. I was working in 2009 so i did my taxes this year and they are charging me 1700 for whatever my boyfriend owed. we are not married so can i still claim tghe whole amount they supposed to give me 4100 and now they only giving me 2300 or so. what can i do???

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • probably nothing

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • Contact a tax professional.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • i don't think it's legal for him to claim you as a dependant when you're not married, so probably nothing. (i think)

    Answer by angevil53 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • I think you can, and yes a non spouse can claim dependents if they provide 51% of their care.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • Make an appointment at the local IRS office. Call them at 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.