Unemployment is a "disincentive" to find work, as is Cobra, Agree?

Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona, the Republican whip, argued that unemployment benefits dissuade people from job-hunting "because people are being paid even though they're not working."

Unemployment insurance "doesn't create new jobs. In fact, if anything, continuing to pay people unemployment compensation is a disincentive for them to seek new work," Kyl said during debate over whether unemployment insurance and other benefits that expired amid GOP objections Sunday should be extended.

"I'm sure most of them would like work and probably have tried to seek it, but you can't argue that it's a job enhancer. If anything, as I said, it's a disincentive. And the same thing with the COBRA extension and the other extensions here," said Kyl.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I kind of agree. The reason I say this is because my mother has been on Uemployment since June of 2009. She goes to the Texas Work Force and applies online for 6 jobs a week like they require her to but she has admitted to both clicking on jobs and applying for stuff she knows she can't get and to not even paying attention to what she's applying. She has been offered a job twice when she actually applied for something that she qualified for and turned them down.

I circle jobs in the paper that she would qualify for and give it to her every week. She tells me to mind my own business and that she'll get a job when she feels like and "not one dam minute before."

I know others who have admitted to doing the same thing but I can tell you if that 167.00 a week stopped coming in she'd be hunting high and low for a job.
    Anonymous

• The original "safety net" intention of social programs, unemployment, etc is a valiant intention. Used correctly, it keeps working people paying their bills, contributing to the economy, and families healthy. Unfortunately, many people abuse the system.

Cobra on the other hand still requires that most people pay their own premium. It is very temporary. With the jobs I have had, it was impossible to abuse cobra coverage.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• If we didn't have unemployment coming in we would be HOMELESS !!!!!!!!! We have 2 kids under 4 and we NEED that $$$ to pay rent . My hubby applies for jobs that make what he makes in unemployement becasue it wouldn't be worth taking a $7 hour job and then being even MORE poor with a job than without a job and also becoming HOMELESS even though he had a job . We have never abused the system and can't wait till we can get off PA I hate it we want better for us and our kids but we HAVE to be on it if we want our kids to have a roof over thier heads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• A disincentive huh? Well, for some it may be, but for me it was grocery money... and that's about it. I was laid off in Oct 2008. I've tried everything, including temp agencies. The problem is that for every job I apply for (temp agencies included), there are literally hundreds of other applicants. Now, there probably a few more jobs out there right now because I've noticed I've received more calls for interviews, but I still have to compete with the other interviewees, and in the end I have yet to find something. My benefits ran out a few weeks ago, and we've been scraping by, I can't deny that another extension would be helpful to us. Besides, doesn't he know that most states require that you apply to a certain number of jobs each week in order to keep the benefits? I always do far more than the requirement.

COBRA is another issue though. Those people pay a premium and a pretty hefty one usually.
    Anonymous

• Cobra is VERY EXPENSIVE, and I cannot see that as being an incentive to STAY unemployed. As far as unemployment payments go, I can UNDERSTANBD some staying on unemployment over taking a job that will pay the SAME OR LESS as unemployment. In some cases it is LESS, depending on what type of job you were laid off from.

My brother is currently laid off. YES he is on unemployment. He cannot find a job that will pay him MORE than what unemployment is paying him right now. He got laid off from a VERY GOOD paying job, and is getting good unemployment benefits. Why would he take LESS? He has a mortgage to pay, and needs every dime OFFERED to him. Fortunately for him, his job will most likely hire him BACK in April.

Anonymous

• Hell NO! COBRA is really expensive. I don't know how anyone affords it! And unemployment is not going to pay what a job will... It never has for us... It's just there to help.
    Anonymous

• cobra no, unemployment yes. i know plenty of people that will use the money until it runs out and magically get a job as soon as it's gone. however, in mo you pay your own unemployment and when it runs out you have no more or after a year you're no supposed to get more. there are those people out there though that go to school full time while they get the unemployment that completely deserve this bc they put their heart and soul into a job that left the country. that's not fair either. it's whatev to me! better than people sitting on their butts getting fs and pa and NEVER seeking employment.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• yes, it's great to live on a fraction of what you normally make and pay twice as much or more for health insurance at the same time. who would ever give up such a sweet, cush deal?

(now where did I put that sarcasm font?)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I find it hard to believe that $167 a week would be a disincentive to look for work, regarding the story of someone's mom.. That is not enough to pay for anything but food, really. Unemployment is only a portion of your former wages, not enough to stop from looking for something better. As far as COBRA, most people cannot afford it, since you have to pay the full cost of the insurance with no employer subsidy. And we all know how expensive buying your own insurance is. ;)
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• cobra... are you kidding??? That guy needs to come down to the real world he OBVIOUSLY knows NOTHING about having to pay for health care or how much it costs.
    Unemp... well yes and no... some people don't go to work b/c they know they are getting unemp. but part of it is that they want to make as much as before and why get a job paying you less than you get on unemp that is only a portion of what you used to make.
    It depends on the person... I know people who have streched it to the max but I also know even more that have used their time wisely ... getting retraining and honestly searching without stop for work.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2010