I want to stop co-sleeping

So I would like to stop co-sleeping because my daughter sleeps longer when she isn't in bed with us. However It is really hard to get her to fall asleep otherwise. If she falls asleep while breastfeeding or in our arms she always wakes up if we try to move her. She falls asleep better when put on her tummy but I know That isn't recommended. If I manage to get her to fall asleep in her swing she will usually sleep for 3-4 hours instead of waking every two in bed with us. And with her breastfeeding to sleep in our bed if I unlatch her and try to get comfy so I can sleep she almost always wakes up. Sometimes she will fall asleep in her bassinet if I run the blow dryer but wont stay asleep if I turn it off. She is 3 months. Any ideas?

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 8:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most babies like white noise(blow dryer) why don't you get a white noise machine for her and it'll be on constant or it has a timer. I never co-slept or had my baby fall asleep while nursing/bottle and couldn't get him back to sleep so I can't really help with that. You might just have to let her cry it out :(. I did that for my 7 month old (when he was 1-3 months) and it worked i can put him to sleep wide awake in his crib and he goes right to sleep no fussing or anything. When i mean cry it out i don't mean just let her cry for 20 minutes don't worry (I couldn't do that!). I would set the microwave timer for about 7 minutes and by 4 minutes in he was asleep. Hope this helps! There is also a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy baby which helped alot.
    DJsmom0725

Answer by DJsmom0725 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I definitely agree with the white noise idea. My kids always had a "heartbeat bear" which is pretty much the same thing - it mimics the sounds that baby hears in the womb and is sound and motion activated, so if baby wakes up it turns on for a certain amount of time then turns itself off. They sell them in baby stores, but the white noise machine would work as well.

Answer by missanc at 9:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• WE have tried to let her cry but the cries become screams. I have tried letting her cry but still being there talking and singing and patting her and that doesn't work. I have only let her cry and left the room for about five minutes. The problem with white noise machines is they are not loud enough. I live in an apartment and my neighbors probably think I am using the blow dryer to cover up the noise of her crying. And I just can't leave it running so she can sleep. talk about a fire hazard.
    xredstarsx

Answer by xredstarsx at 9:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• The previously recommended book does work for a lot of babies. If she can roll over, then you can do tummy sleeping now.

It's too early for CIO, per CIO advocates who say 6-9 months depending on what you read.

I would not look at transitioning until/unless you've passed the three month growth spurt, though...because they DON'T sleep long suring that time. Be aware that teething is coming too, and she will wake frequently from that as well. never expect a sleeping pattern to last more than a week in year one. It CAN...just don't expect it.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• The problem i have with tummy sleeping is once when she was I went in to check on her and her face was straight down. She didn't respond when I rubbed her back and it scared me to death. And She can turn over very well so I don't know why she didn't turn her head.
    xredstarsx

Answer by xredstarsx at 9:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• They make CD's of loud white noise that you can play, they go for 5 mins after that she won't wake when it stops, my DD has a sound spa with projector and that sucker is very loud. You have to stop giving in and letting her sleep with you. Swaddle her and put her down.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I think you should wait. It's growth spurt time and she's going to wake more. And it will be added stress.

What I do with my baby was to make sure that if I unlatch her or put her down that she is in DEEP sleep. If a baby is disturbed in light sleep they will wake up. I also don't make the house mouse quiet. During the day all sounds are normal day sounds...tv, pets, computer, traffic, etc. At night we keep don't make it unusually quiet, but we do avoid "startling" noises (like slamming a door). We co sleep, but I also started getting her used to me leaving her after she falls asleep by being sure I am thee immediately when she awakens. All on her own now, she will awaken and make noise but stays calm and if she happens to still be tired she will go back to sleep unless she is wet or hungry.

I've just gotten used to her wake patterns at night and she's always goes back to sleep after a feed.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I don't considered sleeping "longer" on the belly to be "better". Actually, it would worry me if my baby slept longer on her belly at that age...that would make me think she's in a deep sleep stage for far too long and she could stop breathing. It's normal for BF babies to wake freqently especially at that age. It's not necessarily the long stretch of sleep that is an indiator of good sleep, but the total sleep in a 24 hour period.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2010