what kind of guitar would be best for a 5yo?

my son has been asking me to buy him a guitar for over a year now, so i told him he could have one for his birthday (in june). i'm not buying him one as a toy.... i am going to get him lessons. 5yo should be old enough for lessons right? and what kind of guitar would be best for someone learning? i know nothing about guitars lol....... i'm going to go to the store to look at them but i was hoping somebody on here would give me some pointers beforehand so i know what to look for and what questions to ask the salespeople.

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would take him to a music store and talk to the people there. I wouldn't get the first act guitars you can get from walmart if you are going to get him lessons and seriously want him to play. I love Breedlove accoustic guitars and they are fairly inexpensive
    Anonymous

• take him to a music store and have him fitted for a small real guitar. they might run around sixty bucks but it will be worth it to not buy a toy or a piece of junk. he can learn at five, kids can learn as young as they are able to pay attention and be interested. GL
    check the bulletin board at the music store for used instruments also
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2010