When did you get rid of the high chair?

My 20 month old got a toddler-size table and chair set for Christmas, and I allow her to eat dinner there. I pull up a chair and help her eat. For her other meals, she still sits in her high chair. Lately, she has been showing signs that she is ready to be done with the high chair. I'm not too happy about that, because she doesn't sit in her toddler chair for more than a minute before she wanders. She comes back to the table for a bite of food, then she's off again!

Do you think she's ready to start taking her meals at the toddler table fulltime? I don't have a regular kitchen table-right now, I use it to hold snacks and other things (I have a small apartment).

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have 4 kids the first 3 I don't really remember because they are older, I took a break and had the last one who is 5 now. Right around the age of 2 is when I stopped useing the high chair mainly because he would reach over the sides of the try and release the tray!! He thought it was funny to watch his food fly! lol...so he was put in a booster after that
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• DD is 4, and just started sitting in a regular chair for all meals in the past few weeks. DS is 2 1/2 and still sits in high chair.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My kids moved from the highchair to a booster seat with a tray that strapped on to a regular size chair when they were 20-24 months. A couple of months after that, we removed the tray and just pulled them up to the table.
    If she's getting up and running around, just give her a warning that mealtime is over if she gets up. If she doesn't sit down, take the food away and wait until the next snack/mealtime. She won't starve! and she'll learn that mealtime isn't play time. Or you can set a timer and tell her she has X minutes to eat in - when the timer is up, whether she is done eating or has spent the time playing, take the food away until next snack/mealtime. Again - she won't starve.

Answer by missanc at 9:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Oh, and when I say high chair, I used the chair with a tray that you strap onto a kitchen chair for both of my kids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Well my first two were close in age but my son used it maybe till 20mos and my daughter till close to 2. My 23 mos has not used it in months I am about to toss it it just sits there. She likes to sit with big brother and sister! SHe does well though.
    Anonymous

• I got rid of my high chair with my son when I moved -- I wanted to get rid of it earlier.
    My dd never had one... I had the "toddler chair" with the tray insert.... just like a high chair except you can take it with you and they can't climb up etc.
    I used the tray insert until they were safe and comfortably reaching the table without needing to smear food all over it ... LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My daughter hasn't tolerated the high chair for a while now and she is only 17 months. I have the same problem, she doesn't want to be still very long no matter what seat she is put in. I try and give her the ability to walk away and come back to the food. If she is hungrier, she will stay longer and eat more. I think you should just follow her lead.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I stopped putting my son in a high chair a few months before he turned 2. We don't allow him to wander off with food or with food on his face and hands, and if we are sitting down for a family meal (1-2 meals a day) he has to sit with us. Otherwise, if we just have say some fruit slices on his plate for a snack, he is free to grab a bite here and there. I suppose the difference is that we are sitting with him when he sits for extended periods of time.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 1:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• We had a transitional high chair. It went from a baby, to toddler to preschool chair. It could lift up and down. The kids used it until about 3 or four years old. It depended on the child and how comfortable they were with going into a big chair at the table.

I forget what the chair was called. We used it until it fell apart. It was really useful.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 1:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'd totally ditch the highchair. My first was in a booster at the table by 13 months, our second (who is 22 months) has never had a highchair - we started her out in a booster at the table with us, and I would never own a highchair again! We too have a toddler table and chairs, and my girls eat their lunch there. Yes, my youngest gets up and wanders, but I just tell her she needs to sit and eat or she is going to be done. Trust me, they catch on quickly that the food disappears when they do! ;) I also do daycare and watch a 19 month old, and he too has been using the toddler table since he was about 13 months old. I personally think the sooner you get them used to sitting at a table to eat, the better off you are since they are learning their table manners at a younger age.
    fiestagrill

Answer by fiestagrill at 2:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2010