why is breast cancer such a popular cause when heart disease kills more women?

it just really bothers me that everywhere you turn there is pink crap to support breast cancer when imo that's not even a major concern for most women. breast cancer is not even a leading cause of death for women...... heart disease is. breast cancer is not even really preventable, but in most cases heart disease is. wouldn't raising awareness of heart disease make more sense (because it's largely a preventable disease)? maybe it just bothers me so much bc my mother died at a relatively young age from heart disease. i just don't understand why breast cancer is the big cause for women

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• (cont. from above)

Also, more widespread education about prevention of heart disease & proper care of the heart will benefit men AND women the most, as heart disease is the # 1 killer of both genders in the U.S.. And because it kills more women every year than ALL cancers combined, it only makes sense to promote education & awareness because it would obviously affect more women than only breast cancer, simply due to the higher mortality rate & the fact that prevention is key!
    And that's not even to mention the fact that it would benefit men as well!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I think that's the point, one is a disease that needs to be cured and one can be preventative. You need money to cure and you need to care for yourself to prevent heart disease. We should all know that. We're taught the food pyramid in grade school. Eat, exercise, low stress, blah blah it's just no one bothers but I get your point.
    Anonymous

• Ummm duh! Breast cancer isn't preventable that's why they fund the research for it to find a cure. They already have a cure for heart disease. And it's very sensative you to bring up such a question when I'm sure most of us on here have been affected by it one way or another. Very thoughtful question. Very ignorant too.
    Anonymous

• ummm duh i know lots and lots of people and not one with breast cancer. not many people get breast cancer at all anon 9:47. they just talk about it constantly and that makes you think alot of people get it. any why is it so important to find a cure for breast cancer specifically? i'm sure there are other cancers that kill many more people than breast cancer. thank you for saying i'm sensitive and thoughtful though..... i think so too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Since my mom had breast cancer and I take part in all the fundraisers and walks I dont find it offensive. Early detection is key to surviving. Heart attacks also are preventable by eating right, exercise etc . Its all common stuff. I am happy my mom recovered and for all the things organizations did fror emotional support.

Answer by gemgem at 10:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• A very good friend of mine died from breast cancer. I have had 6 benign lumps removed from my breasts. I know what I can do to protect my heart. I sometimes worry my breasts may be a ticking time bomb. Sure there are other cancers, but a breast cancer doesn't just affect the patient, it devastes families and leaves children motherless. It is WOMEN that have brought this tragic disease to the forefront and it is for them (mostly) the cure will benefit.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Anon :47, it is not an ignorant question. If heart disease is so preventable, then why is it still the #1 killer of men AND women?? Obviously, something needs to be done about it! To quote you: "Umm duh!"

Heart disease awareness & prevention needs to be publicized just as much as cancer awareness & prevention!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• yourspecialkid- "Sure there are other cancers, but a breast cancer doesn't just affect the patient, it devastes families and leaves children motherless. It is WOMEN that have brought this tragic disease to the forefront and it is for them (mostly) the cure will benefit."

I'm sure if one of your family members got another type of cancer, especially pancreatic cancer which has a death rate of about 83% (compared to breast cancer's death rate of about 21%), it wouldn't just be "some other cancer". There are many types of cancer that have higher death rates than breast cancer- colon & rectal, leukemia, renal, pancreatic, & lung, just to name a few. Do you think certain people, such as mothers, are immune to other types of cancer? Do you think their families' grief would somehow be different? Let me assure you, death is death. Pain is pain, and grief is grief. To say that there is breast cancer and "other cancers" is just idiotic.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:52 AM on Mar. 2, 2010