What does it mean when you get so upset during an argument that you black out?

Totally traumatic argument with DH today. He threw a little action figure at me and it hit me in the mouth. The next thing I know I'm across the room with my hands around his neck. There was no thought, no decision, it just happened. I blacked out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• YOu have to breathe
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 10:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• That happens to me too. I don't know what it is.
    Anonymous

• Never heard of that (black out) unless alcohol was involved. I've flashed white hot in anger and assaulted someone, not in control but I knew what i was doing. I just couldn't control it. If you black out you don't remember it and you say you remember it. So it wasn't a black out.
    Anonymous

• If he threw something at me I would go crazy too. It's called being enraged.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• When I realized I was above him choking him I had no idea how I had gotten from the couch I was sitting on to across the room where he was sitting. Like, did I jump over the coffee table or what? That's why I say I blacked out.
    Anonymous

• 11:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 by: Anonymous

When I realized I was above him choking him I had no idea how I had gotten from the couch I was sitting on to across the room where he was sitting. Like, did I jump over the coffee table or what? That's why I say I blacked out.

That's the same thing that happens to me. I also won't even remember what I was angry about after the fact. I often stand there wondering what on Earth we were fighting about and I how could I have gotten mad enough to get to this point.
    Anonymous

• when you and your DH fight, its time to go to your own corners, cool down, brew some coffee or tea or something and then when you guys are calmer, sit down at the table, or couch (light touching is better) and TALK about it- no screaming, no throwing things, nothing.

if this was a woman who said her man "blacked out" and choked her- everyone would be telling her to leave, its abusive, etc... and what you are doing is abusive.. abuse can also happen from females to males. get yourself into anger management so you never "black out" on your kids.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 11:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• seek help
    Anonymous

• You both need to take a chil Pill!!!
    Anonymous

• It means it's time to end the relationship, that's what it means. I mean, before you end up in jail with a murder rap hanging over your head.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 AM on Mar. 2, 2010