taxes

I have a question, say you didnt work the whole year and didnt get unployment. Do you still need to file taxes? i was just wondering, also i am in CA dont know if that makes a different.

DilsMommy

Asked by DilsMommy at 10:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• If your married yes because it will give you an added benefit by having you on there, you get an exemption for you, dh and your kids so it makes a big difference. If your not married then I would call and ask, I am not really sure, I would think you would file just to show that you didnt have income that way if you go back to work in a year or two and start filing they dont come back and say ..hey wait why didnt you file for these previous years. It is always better to call or check the IRS website to know for sure.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i am not really sure, I only worked part of the year and didn't collect unemployment but I still filed (im in CA). however I think if you made under a certain amount of money for the year then no but you need to find out the limit. Go to the IRS website and try to find out. Also I am in no way an expert so if im wrong then Im sorry for giving you false info.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 11:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You should probably just file anyways, I only made 300 last year but filed just incase I need that for something else later as proof of income.
    Anonymous

• http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html

Here is a link to the IRS website that covers it, sorry i didnt really get a chance to read through it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I worked six months and I still filed. You are still taking care of a dependent so file.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 2:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Yes if you worked at all it is just better to file and be safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• yup. File
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Yes. You may qualify for certain credits like the home heating credit. You won't know unless you file.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• if you made under 600.00 you don't have to but i would file cause a little extra money will go a long way
    famedcheeze

Answer by famedcheeze at 9:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2010