when can I start her on "stage 2" baby food?

My daughter is 5 months old. She started eating baby rice cereal at 3-3 1/2 months (doctor recommendation) and eating stage one baby foods at about 3 1/2-4 months (also doc. rec.) and she is doing very well on stage 1...she eats the entire jar/container, sometimes two at a time and she hasn't had any trouble swallowing the food, never chokes and has definitely figured out how to take bites properly...very little food is dropped on her clothes/chin/etc.

so when do you think I could start her on stage 2? (I know I should ask her ped. but I just wanna see what you guys think)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometime between 6-8 months old.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 11:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I didn't start my baby on stage 2 foods until 8 months. BUT I also didn't start cereal until 5 1/2 months and stage 1 foods at 6 months. I guess I am no help, but I would say wait because she seems very young to be eating stage 2 foods let alone stage 1.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I'm pretty sure that sate 2 is the same as stage 1, just bigger jars and sometimes they will put in more than one ingredient (like pears and blueberries in the same jar). I never used any "stage 1" foods.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I didn't really go by any certain "age" to start on stage 2 baby food. Just make sure they can handle the thicker food without gagging or spitting it out due to the different texture.

Both of my girls HATED watery cereal, so I had to make it thicker almost to the point that an adult would prefer to eat oatmeal. Then they gobbled it up! Since they didn't like it watery, I had to add a little cereal to the stage 1 food to thicken it just to get them to eat it. Because of this we pretty much skipped stage 1 foods. I just fed them smaller portions of the stage 2 foods when they were too young to eat a whole jar in one sitting/meal. If you feel your baby is ready for thicker foods, go for it.
    sjjeaster

Answer by sjjeaster at 1:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Stage 2 is basically the same but we did find that it is way thicker. I would just follow the milestone chart. http://www.gerber.com/AllStages/Products/2nd_Foods_Dinners_with_DHA.aspx

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• we started stage 2 a couple weeks after we started stage 1 - he was ready for the thicker texture.

Answer by missanc at 9:21 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i'd say when shes sitting up on her own my ds started eatting stage 1 at 2 1/2 months he's now 5 months but im waiting on him to sit up better on his own before i move him on so around 6 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2010