Your daughter says "Mom I'm having sex and I want to get on birth control" You say "?????????????"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I guess it would depend on her age.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Years ago I would have fainted.....now I say take her and take her quick. If you do not want to be a grandma take her. I am not condoning premarital sex but I say you have a very intellegent and smart young lady who odvisouly trust you enough to talk to you.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• "Here are your options, let's pick the right one."

No matter what her age, she's already doing it and all my efforts obviously didn't stop her. Putting her on lockdown is going to be counterproductive, then it becomes a starcrossed lovers case and it's that much more romantic and important to have sex.

Now, if she's 12, different story. Lockdown it is, and homeschooling and bars on her windows, because something is wrong with that.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Well since I have an open relationship with my girls I would know the boy and she would have come to me before and discussed her options. Oh you mean for reals.... Yeah Flip out, death threats, prego test, call the authorities, ok now back down to earth. Try not to freak out and find out what is going on before jumping to conclusions and hope I instilled enough sense in her that she has made the best decision that is possible at her age and move forward.

Just for the record, I was 17 and other than the guy my mom was the first to know, not sure if she wanted that honor but she got it because she was open with me about sex so hopefully I get the same honor when my girls choose to give that gift to a great guy like I did.
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• wouldnt happen. i would have an open enough relationship that i woudl alrady know and already have taken her for birth control if she was dead set on that path
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• get it for her since she already said hey I'm having sex so she don't get pregnant ....now if it was me i would put my DD on it then lock her up in her room LOL
    Anonymous

• if she's still high school, i would be freak out and get very angry..
    ascora

Answer by ascora at 11:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would say "Lets talk about this" and explain that it is necessary to use birth control...BUT, that it is NOT necessary to have sex when you are a teen. Then I would talk about the difference between sex with no commitment and no love,just "thrills" and making love with a husband that you love and trust. And I would explain that ifyou sleep with a kid when you are a kid, all the boys in school will think you are an easy lay. That IS the truth. Self respect is very important and necessary. You don't want to be known as "easy". and most imprtant.....babies are not allowed until you have had a college education and then got married. Really! That is what I would say. Thank goodness my daughters were smart and waited until they were over 21 and never got pregnant out of wedlock!!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Sati...I just want to say that you really don't know that.

My mom was really open with us, told us to come to her if we needed to get on birth control, gave us our privacy, and when I became sexually active I had NO INTEREST in telling my mother.

We talked to her about our periods, drugs, everything BUT sex...

You act like you have a special remedy that's going to keep your daughter telling you everything and coming to you about sex but you really don't know that.
    Anonymous

• get her on birth control right away!!!!!
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 11:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2010