Old enough to have sex, old enough to pay rent! Yes or no?

Do you agree or disagree why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm going to adopt this philosophy into my own parenting! I think this is a great way to give a kid a "choice" to make but also to discourage them from doing it too young.
    Monochromewillo

Answer by Monochromewillo at 1:12 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• yes I agree.... you want to act like an adult then you should live llike and adult
    Anonymous

• i agree they are doing that and acting like an adult they can cough up some money to help out and pay for rent and help with elecrtic cable. food...but if there young tweens then i would have a huge sit down cause there not adults yet.. but 15 16 17 u waan play well ur gonna pay also..welcome to adulthood..
    Anonymous

• Well, in an ideal world, yes. But the world isn't perfect, and I'm not naieve enough to think that my kids aren't going to have sex before they're paying rent. It just doesn't usually work that way.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I disagree. The two have nothing to do with each other. Sex is a physical and emotional act that occurs between two people and can be done at a very early age. Rent is an expense that would require one to get a job, a responsibility that some cannot obtain (due to age and law restrictions). A more realistic way of thinking is, "Old enough for a job, old enough to pay rent" or "Old enough to have sex, old enough for an STD/raise a child".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• No, not necessarily true factually. A five-year-old could have (non-consensual) sex but not be employed or earn enought to have sex. Do you mean, should parents impose rent on teenagers who have sex? I would see that as a personal decision amoung families. But honestly, those two things wouldn't be related in my mind, they would be seperate issues. I would address both/either as they were relevant to our lives.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• In my house, if you want to act like an adult then I'll treat you like an adult and that includes paying for you rent utilities food and gas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Honestly, people don't become responsible enough to pay rent and be adults until they have been forced into it for a few years. Everyone has a point that they can look back to in their life where they said that situation made them grow up to fast, or just in time. Hormones on the other hand, work in a completely different way. I don't encourage the behavior but I met my husband and we started dating when I was 15, him 16. We are married now and we were smart enough to wait to have kids. We were responsible about it, we knew we couldn't handle marriage or big bills or kids in highschool but that didn't stop us physically. If you raised your kid right, you should trust them and help them be as safe and careful as possible. It would be the parents fault if the kid was too afraid to ask for birth control.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• that depends... do you want your kids future to include the phrase "do you want fries with that?"?? Or do you want them concentrating on school work and normal teen stuff. Make them into Jr adults and you may be pushing them into adulthood so much so that they for go college and don't progress past that weekend job at micky d's.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Yes and no. I say no because it's not always realistic or necessary, and the truth is your kids aren't going to march up and hand you $300 and announce they just got laid. But I do believe that if a teen living at home gets pregnant they shouldn't just get a free ride to drop out of school and sit around the house mooching off mom and dad for who-knows-how-long.

My mom's policy with me was I could either go to school or pay rent, didn't have anything to do with sex.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 1:29 AM on Mar. 2, 2010