If I believe in god, and I die....

does that mean I will become a god?

My six year old son asked me this tonight before bed. I am an atheist, and my husband is agnostic (although we are both kind of pantheists also) so religion and god aren't really a hot topic in our house. My son has been asking questions lately, and I always try and tell him both how I feel about topics, and how other people might feel, but I never tell him how he should feel or what he should believe. For example, we've talked about heaven, and the fact that I don't believe in it, but he says he does, and I never tell him he is wrong for that.

Anyways, hubby and I told him that no one really knows what happens when you die, except the one thing that's certain, this life is over.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• that is soo cute. Kids say the darnedest things. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I would go with what you already say pretty much. Tell him you don't really know and nobody really does but that is a possibility. Tell him its something for him to ponder and come to his own conclusion about. There are lots of philosophers who have pondered similar things. According to some belief systems, you could interpret the change after death as becoming part of one universal "being" or according to others achieving enlightenment or nirvana might make you "god-like" or according to others you might serve on a council with god that will make you god-like or.. You see where I am going with this. You could follow his lead for how much to explore it. He sounds like a very interesting, very thoughtful person. Kudos for raising that kind of person! I wonder if there are some religion or philosophical comparison books that might help you when he asks these kind of questions.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Good advice Bella, I'll have to remember that for the next time he starts asking about it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:51 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• In my religion, because we believe we are sons and daughter of Heavenly Father, that we too have the potential to become Gods and Godesses. Not in the greek mythology story kinda way, but of our own worlds.
    We do not replace God our Father, because He will always be our God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• You never tell him he is wrong for what he believes....great! If my children believed they would turn into leprachauns when they die, I would be supportive! lol

Im christian and you are atheist. Our approach to communicating with our children are exactly the same. Isnt that funny? We are good mamas. LOL
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Good for not tell him he is wrong.. Children tend to see and be more wide open to the things of the spirit than we do.. they do not have all the baggage to come with it.
    No we do not become god, we are still who we are but with glorified bodies. Our bodies will chamge and become very pure ( sin cannot enter heaven)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• God is an energy, not an entity. And we all have a soul/spirit that is a part of that energy. We will return to it when our bodies die. Or we will cease to exist completely. Either way what happens after this body dies isn't going to matter as much as we THINK it will.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2010