Trying to lose weight in a healthy and budget friendly way

I've always been on the heavy side and lately have been eating very poorly. Im really trying to find an easy and manageable way to lose weight on a healthy and budget friendly basis. I'd like to find recipes and a good way to encourage myself and my fiance to eat better and help us lose weight so that we can encourage our son to eat healthy just as well. Please fill free to give me ideas that might have helped you.

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• My MIL went on a plant-based diet and has lost 40 pounds. She doesn't consume meat or dairy. She gets a lot of her veggies and a few fruits from a local farm and its ridiculously cheap. She juices in the morning, eats a salad for lunch, and cooks veggies and pasta or something similar for dinner. She eats dark chocolate or chocolate covered something after dinner each night. She used to be addicted to sweets but says she doesn't miss it. There are several vegan-cooking, plant-based diets, and other manuals out there. Not sure which one she used but I know the Halelluiah diet is similar to what she did. Googling vegan and raw living will also turn up results. She got the idea from me since I am ethical vegan, but we are sort of mutually-inspired since I am trying to eat more raw and also started juicing since she has been eating plant-based.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Some simple solutions are having a salad with every lunch and dinner, switching to whole grains (including pasta), cut out all beverages with added sugar, cut fast food, don't fry but bake, use less fatty cheese, skim or 2% milk instead of whole, eat a healthy breakfast daily (oatmeal w/o added sugar, fruit, whole wheat waffle with frozen fruit on top, whole grain cereal)....

I hope that helps!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:09 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I just started the Scarsdale Medical Diet its a 14 days diet. If you'd like you can check-out the site. http://lowcarblisa.tripod.com/id18.html My SIL mom did this diet, and she said it worked for her. Also another mom on here said it worked for her to. If you wanna ask me anything else feel free to message me.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 3:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i watch what i eat. i also take protein shakes as a meal everyday for that extra boost of nutrients but it can get pricy.. i also use some good priced workout dvds.. i sell them so if you end up needing something good let me know.. all our products have a 30 day guarantee if you dont see results.. i loved them so much thats why i started selling the stuff.. im a coach..i also just am here for support too so if ya need that r any other tips just email me and ill help the best i can
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I am currently dieting but eating healthier.
    Cut your sodium intake by half, no salt on your foods, no processed food they are high is salt. Unsalted butter.
    Eat fresh veggies and fruit or frozen if you get canned NO SALT
    Drink Green tea, cut your soda out. A lot of water
    Whole grain bread, cereal, muffins, add oat to your diet.
    Its working for me!! Good luck.

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com

ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 4:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I don't diet, but I do eat healthy. My secret is buying (almost) only non-processed foods.

When you go to the store, stock up on fresh produce, lean chicken/fish, and whole grains. Cooking from base ingredients is MUCH cheaper than buying frozen "diet" meals. And cooking from scratch isn't all that hard or time consuming, either; I cut up a few yams and onions, mix it with garlic and olive oil, and bake it in the oven for 40 minutes. It's a no-effort and nutritious meal that hardly costs me $2.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 8:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I agree with Mouske, also the abs diet books have great recipes in them that are simple, that is what i used to revamp our eating habits and it works. Even my kids are eating better, i only follow the food portion of the book, my excercises are different than the books shows. I dont really spend any more than i did before on food and i buy what is on sale in the produce section with the exception of baby spinach which i buy every week because we eat it daily my kids love it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2010