How do I talk to a friend who is being persuaded to have an abortion?

I know she loves the father to be of the child, but the family is persuading her to have an abortion. She is only 17 years old and he is 19. I do not want to push my feelings on her and at the same time I don'twant her to do something she will regret.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• That's a tough one. I would offer to just listen to her feelings and keep putting emphasis on what SHE wants. If she turns the conversation to what someone else thinks or insists, ask her again how she feels and what she wants. Do some research for her on parenting, parenting support, social programs, medicaid, wic, etc. Do some research on adoption if that would be an option for her. Encourage her to familiarize herself with the exact procedure she would be having and what it would entail. Offer to drive her to counselling and/or be her support person when she goes to the abortion clinic instead of a family member who might force her if she has a change of heart there.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• The only way you can help her is to "put your money where your mouth is". If you think she should give birth, offer to take the baby. Seriously. If you feel abortion is wrong, you *we* should all be able to stand behind it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I dont think is nothing you can do. Some things people have to learn. I had an abortion with my 1st pregnancy and it was the most awful thing. I cried for days and vowed to never do it again. Now i have a lovely daughter who is 2 and I think all the time about the other baby. What it was? What it would have looked liked? I regret it so much but I cant turn back I can only learn from it.
    I dont push my feelings on anyone else. If they choose abortion and they ask I give my reasons for why I wont do it again but thats me.
    The best thing you can tell your friend is to do it for her own reason. She needs to make a list of the pros and cons and go off that and not what anybody else tell her.
    I chose to have my daughter and I knew I would most likely be single for doing it but its what I chose and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 2:27 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Likely she already knows how you feel. Just be her sounding board. It's her decision in the end.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2010