have the laws for foward facing car seats changed?

a lady i work with says there is a new law in texas dont know if its other states though that says a child under 2 much be rear facing regardless of weight. i would like to know if there is such a law since my boy is 16 months and 27 pounds and has been foward facing since 1. thank you

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 12:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no.
    they recently changed the booster seat laws though. it's not 4'9" tall or 8 years old for the booster seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• The LAWS haven't changed... YET.
    But the American Academy of Pediatrics has changed their guidelines.... they say that a child should rear face to the MINIMUM of 2 years and should rear face to the max of their seat. (most seats rear face to 35-40lbs)
    Your child could still be rear facing... and it's the best option for his safety.
    My son is 19 month, 35 inches and 27 lbs and still rear facing and will rear face well past the 2 year minimum.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• The law has not changed. However the AAP does now recomend that toddlers remain rearfacing until at least 2yrs. and 30lbs. (or until the limits of their convertible carseat) because it is 5x safer than forward facing.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• not yet but they should. my dd was rearfacing till 33 mts and ds turn 1 on sunday and am not going to turn him around till he is 3. reserarch extended rear facing. youtube has some videos about it.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• No, but I heard something about the AAP recommending not turning until 2 and 30 pounds now. We keep ours rear facing anyway, since the laws aren't necessarily enough. I mean, you don't have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle in SC for goodness sakes, and we think a minimum law is going to be enough?
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2010