For Pagans/wicca: Why did her amythestist turned black?

Someone I know wore a amythesist necklace and it turned black on her. She was told it's because it was protecting her from negative energies. I've never heard of this happening. Is this true?

lich663

Asked by lich663 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It was doing its job--absorbing negative energies and providiing protection. Black is the spiritual color of protection. Many people,myself included,wear black stones, including onyx, obsidian, and hematite, just for that purpose. One can also use a white stone. She need only cleanse it to clear it. I use sea salt and water, or place the stones in direct sunlight (on the dashboard of my van, usually). When crystals stop working, they tend to crack or break into pieces. When they change color, they are working.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• my guess is that it got dirty.
    I have many stones and amulets and NONE have changed color. EVER.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• The power left the amulet. It is not protecting her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Some unscrupulous stone suppliers "treat" the stones to increase color. This process is never permanite, just long enough to make the sale and forget where you bought it from. But some stones, like amethyst will fade from being exposed to sunlight.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• If amethysts are exposed to heat or the sun they can fade, but if they are exposed to cold they can turn dark (usually a smoky gray/blackish color). Chemicals can sometimes effect gemstones in strange ways too.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• well, she put it back into salt water to cleanse it and it came back to a dark purple.
    lich663

Answer by lich663 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• jessradtke said it best..

alexandrites change color too due to the different reflections.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2010