Flying with a Teething infant.

Hi my sons first tooth just started poping out :) YAYYY SONN! but I'm planning on flying here soon, what can I do so hes not a crying upset mess while his ears are popping..
and do they have changing stations on planes?
what about a stoller...what do I do with that?
I've never traveled alone let alone with an infant. someone help...
tell me eveything I need to know about flying with a 9 mo old

pixiestixz2626

Asked by pixiestixz2626 at 1:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Travel

• To help with the ears popping give him a binky or bottle at take off and landing. No last time I remembered they don't have changing stations on planes.
    THe stroller you can take all the way up to the gate and give it to them to load last under the plane. My hsuband works for US Airways and he says they take them and then bring them back up when your get to where you are flying.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I made a trip from IL to CA by myself with my 7 m old daughter and if you have a good baby, chances are, she'll be wonderful on the plane.
    My mother in law told me to bring tons of toys and stuff and to be honest I didn't use ANY of it! lol
    The following is what I would bring
    Blanket
    Comfort toy/object (whatever you child is attatched to....my daughter loves her blanket)
    Binky
    Diapers
    Wipes
    Tylenol (ear pain from elevation if any...my daughter wasn't even affected!)

Bottles
    Formula (if that's what you use)
    4-6 containers of SEALED baby food(if you want)
    spoons
    Burp cloths/ bibs
    2 zip lock bags (not including the ones you use to hold your baby food, tylenol etc)
    a few toys like a book or rattle or both...

That's it! Seriously I didn't need even that much, but it's always good to have backup stuff just in case. Feel free to take anything you think you may need, because you know
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• As for the stroller, if you use it to get from one terminal to the next you can take it to the gate and they'll stow it under the plane. I used an umbrella stroller.
    They do have changing stations, but honestly, I'd cover her up, even my sons when I flew with them, and change them on my lap! lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• does he need a passport or any other form of ID?
    pixiestixz2626

Answer by pixiestixz2626 at 1:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• No, planes do not have changing stations; try to get a bulkhead seat. Nursing during takeoff and landing will help baby's ears; Hylands teething tabs will help the teething pain (ithey are also calming)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• In January we flew from SC to CA. On the trip out there, there were not changing stations in the bathroom. On the trip back, the plane did have a changing station that came down over the toilet and even with the counter. So it really depends on the plane. Both times we were using the same airline carrier. If you are flying out of the country, then yes, the baby needs a passport. If you are just flying within the country, no, you don't an ID for the baby. If the baby is under 2 but it isn't obvious and you are holding the baby in your lap, you need the birth certificate because only 2 and under can be held on your lap.
    I'm all about traveling light and not lugging around a bunch of stuff so both times that I've flown with my daughter we've borrowed a car seat from friends that we trust on the other side. Then I put her in a wrap while we changed planes. CONT.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• This last time I flew by myself, the wrap I used allowed me to use the bathroom while she was in it and I didn't have to hold my pee the entire trip. The trip before my husband was along with so that of course made things much easier. If you do borrow a car seat, just make sure whoever picks you up brings it with them.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 2, 2010