what can I plant to keep cats out of the garden?

My neighbor has 8 cats all of them are outdoors, I myself have 6 but only two of mine go outside. Everyday I come home or walk outside to find her cats in my yard pooping. Last spring my mom and I spent alot of money, time, and hard work putting in a lavender garden, it is now almost completely destroyed. My other lavender garden had fencing around it to keep the cats out. All plants came from the same grower so I know it isnt the plants.

All of my mulch has cat poop in it, I am so annoyed these are expensive plants! I need things I can plant to help deter the cats from using my yard and flower beds as their personal potty box. I have read that lavender is actually supposed to keep cats out but they really really like the lavender beds. Has anyone planted anything that actually works to keep cats out?

My other neighbor gave up and switched to fake plants after the same cats killed off everything in her yard.

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:31 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I had the same problem. The neighbors cat would mess up my mulch. I bought flagstone and placed it in the bare spaces on tpo the mulch. Works great!! You can use any stone and it doesnt look bad. You can get your kids to decorate some stepping stones too. If you have boken terra cotta pots, you can use that. The flagstone goes really well with my style and hopefully it will with yours. Plus, keeps the moisture in too.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I don't know what you can plant, but this should work...

http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5265-Motion-Activated-Repellent/dp/B000BO71NY

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:52 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• mint!!! anything lemon!! cayenne sprinkled will keep em out, thats no bueno on their paws
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I have heard if you put moth balls in your flower beds, cats will stay out of them. Maybe try that.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:12 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Citrus peels seem to work good for me. I use orange, but lemon will do as well.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• If you get chicken wire and lay it on the ground where there is space its supposed to keep them out. They can't walk on it or dig. Cat poop can be dangerous as some will eat rodents and birds that have parasites, so keep the kids away. My rottweiler died almost 2 years ago and before that I didn't think there were any cats in my neighborhood. The spring after she died I found a liter of kittens in my window well.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• a dog.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I should also mention I am getting ready to put in a huge vegetable garden but we have already decided to put a fence with netting over the top to keep the cats and all the birds this lady feeds out of my yard. She is a very nice women but holy cow her cat and bird obsession is killing me. The birds started eating my dogs food and pooping all over my back porch! I am going insane lol.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I have 3 dogs anon lol her cats do not care, they even go in my back yard and taunt my dogs UGH.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Spray them with vinegar water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2010