How can I get pregnant when my husband had a vasectomy?

My hubby had a vasectomy done 4 years ago. I have been faithful to him. My period had been irregular ever since we had our 2nd child. I've been about 5mos late. I took an at home pregnancy test and it came back positive. How could that have happened? Has anyone ever had this happened to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Whoa! Maybe it didn't work? It can be possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It is always possible, they tell you that when you go in for the procedure and most offices when you sign the form that you understand what you are doing also have you sign a form saying you are aware it is not 100%.

I would get a doctors appt and then maybe have hubby go get a test to check his semen count, it is very possible his little swimmers are mobile again.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Believe it or not vasectomy's have a failure rate of 1/2000 or 99.85%. Your husband had to sign paper's before his surgery acknowledging that fact, if he question's your faithfulness, you may want to bring that up. Good luck with the new baby!

http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/vasectomy-14387
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasectomy
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My brother's wife got pregnant after a vas. It is only 99% effective. So it is possible. Hope you can find the joy in this situation.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• The procedure is not always 100% full proof. His doctor should have been testing him regularly to see what his semen count is. My DH has a vasectomy and has had his checked several times just to make sure. I have not had this happen but a friend of mine (woman) had her tubes tied and 4 yrs later got pregnant. It happens!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My neighbor had a vasectomy. 11 years later they found themselves pregnant again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• yes it is definitely possible
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• >>>>My neighbor had a vasectomy. 11 years later they found themselves pregnant again!

I would pass out lol if 9-11 years from now i found myself pregnant again lol, i will me in my 40's and my youngest will be in high school. Your neighbor had to have been in total shock I would have been.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• A lot of it depends on how the vasectomy was done. Sometime they just cut the vas deferens (the "tube" that the sperm travels through) If it was only cut, it can sometimes re-grow and basically heal itself. This type is the easiest to reverse later. It's still a very reliable form of birth control, but the it's not uncommon for this type of vasectomy to fail.

If it was cut and the ends were tied, then sometimes the ends can come undone, and then it can heal itself the way I described above. This one is less likely to fail, because both ends of the cut have to come untied, then it has to re-grow, so the odds of all of that happening isn't as likely, but still, it can happen.

The last way they can do a vasectomy is to cut it and basically cauterize the ends, so it can't re-connect. This is the hardest to reverse, and it's the one less likely to fail, though, again, not entirely fail safe.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:02 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• cont

So, while I feel for you though - good luck!
    (my dh had a vasectomy after our dd was born, she will be 16 in April, and I think we would both have a heart attack if I got pg now!!!)

But, just in case your dh or anyone else that you might care what they think is concerned that the baby isn't his, then I would have them talk to your Dr about it, and talk to your dh's Dr - there's a simple test they can do to check his sperm count (to re-assure him that his guys are swimming again, so to speak). All he has to do is ejaculate into a specimen jar and it's tested for sperm count. (btw - don't have sex for a few days before the test, for more accurate results...)

again, good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:05 AM on Mar. 2, 2010